Thread: Amble Welfare
View Single Post
Old 29-06-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corfuandy View Post
The Welfare was the heart of Amble for us kids in summertime in the late 60s and early 70s :
Casual tennis competitions on the courts .
Chasing each other round the old pavilion, or forking out a few pennies for mini golf .
Welfare wide games of hide and seek , with everybody keeping away from the “haunted” toolshed ,( it had a skull and crossbones on the door , probably because of weed killer etc within, but it kept away curious kids ).
Watching the Amble Cricket team play . Beautifully kept cricket square , I think by Ned McQuillen - all roped off when there wasn’t a game on.
Scrounging left over teas, sandwiches and cakes from the, then, new, cricket pavilion - someone’s Mam or Auntie was always in the kitchen .
Trying to get a kids’ game of cricket or football going on the north end of the field - subject to how many turned up and whether we could muster the necessary equipment between us , ( mention must go to Tom Byres and Dougie Forrester).
Retreat to the area by the swings at the south end by the end of the day , as that’s where the girls would congregate .....
Walk on home as sun setting , probably after 9pm , absolutely weary .
Rinse and repeat !
I'd completely forgotten about that tool shed! It was found to be unlocked on one occasion and no one dared enter, I think we had a different 'fear' (or maybe respect) ethic back then? Someone decided to put a stick in the hasp to keep it closed although we all stood and stared, wondering, discussing, pushing each other forward to have a look. Drinking water from the tap at the pavilion negated the need ever to leave the welfare, dinner (lunch) was a rare event as it meant going home and the possibility of missing something or not being allowed to go back because of some family event - best to stay out as long as possible! The roped off 'cricket square' was completely out of bounds even to a non cricketer like me!