View Single Post
Old 23-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
No connection between the two as there was a fault to the South of Longdyke which limited their scope in that direction. I have documents, obtained from the records office, to say that by1920 the workings were 2.5 miles downhill from the shaft. This meant it needed too many personnel to handle the coal from the face to the shaft, 360 hands were employed of which only 112 were hewers.
At that time the colliery was 40 years old and reserves were limited that is why the Grange pit came into existance.
I worked at both Hauxley and Shilbottle collieries between 1958 and 1972 and have researched both therefore have considerable knowledge in this direction.

Well if you ever publish your research in book/booklet form I'll stick some adverts on here and the other site, every little helps!

I did work at the combined Whittle/Shilbottle, (after your time at Shilbottle). I walked a few times from Whittle Drift to Shilbottle shafts, quite a hike. One curious thing that sticks in my mind from the Shilbottle shaft bottom area was the old disused compressed air light fittings. Thought they were a clever idea.

I also seem to recall someone showing me some timber supports with a black carbonised surface, allegedly from the explosion in 1940, was that possible or is my memory failing and imagination taking over?