View Single Post
Old 22-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
We haven't said anything about the Darlings recently so here's one about your Military Cross Darling. Newcastle Journal 19 May 1917:
"The Military Cross has been conferred upon Lieut. Darling, of Amble, for carrying out a successful reconnaissance in the German retreat. He and one of his men crossed the Somme ahead of the infantry, and reconnoitred a large tract of country which was supposed to be occupied by the enemy. Lieutenant Darling has been three times wounded, and is now in hospital in England."

NJ 24 May: "Lieut. Edwin Darling, of Amble, of the Royal Field Artillery, has received the Military Cross for successful reconnoitring work. He had one man with him, who was awarded the Military Medal. They crossed a river ahead of the infantry and reconnoitred a large tract of country supposed to be occupied by the enemy. The work was the means of saving much time to both cavalry and infantry. Lieut. Darling was gazetted from the Edinburgh University O.T.C. He fought with much gallantry in various engagements and was three times wounded. He is a native of Berwick, and was an analytical chemist at Edinburgh when the war broke out."

I came across some 'Darling' information in the Gazette a while back, added it to the new attempt at an order/decoration page:

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/great_war_...corations.html

locals dragging the reluctant hero into the picture hall again

Picture of the man is poor. (they all are to be honest) But you never know we might come across a better one some time.
There are a few typos in there I will get with the next update; but you can get the general idea. I blame the speech recognition software.