View Single Post
Old 20-06-2015, 02:29 PM

Default Warkworth Moor-The Bumping Stone

Now here's a new one for you all, the Bumping Stone of Warkworth Moor. I was browsing my Northumbrian Magazine, as you do, when I came across a letter from a James H Forster, of Warkworth. He and his father farmed Brotherwick, which includes the Moor, for 60 years and he had no recollection of the Bumping Stone which was mentioned in an article from the previous magazine.
The article by Andrew Curtis included a reference to artificial boundary stones, often named because of their location. One of these was the Bumping Stone on Warkworth Moor.
Curtis' response to the letter is:
"The Bumping Stone is a substantial stone in a hedge on Warkworth Moor. It marks part of the post 1269 boundary of Sturton Grange, described in a medieval charter........a bumping stone is shown at this point on the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1866. The name probably derives from the practice of beating the bounds.
Although I have never actually seen the stone I have the following information and likely location: "In the hedge next to the path that runs south from the road junction parallel to the railway, east of East House Farm. The stone marked the prominent bend in the parish boundary which here turns east to cross the railway. It marked the corner on the former Warkworth Moor.".........It doesn't feature on any of the later maps."