Thread: Radcliffe Map
View Single Post
Old 27-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@theDrift View Post
I have come across a description of the rescue of Private Summerell during research for my next book... if you would be interested in reading it, its not very nice... the guy who rescued him from No Man's Land got the Military Medal for the action but the description is quite brutal, wouldn't want to offend anyone's sensitivities? Would be really interested if you have any photos of Private Summerell you would be prepared to let me use? Also, if you or any relatives don't want the story published, then that won't be a problem. Love to hear what you think, Cheers, John

Hi John, no problem as far as I'm concerned with the publication. Sort of shocked and surprised that you've found some info relating to his death - I assume it's in the citation for the Military Medal - was the citation published in a newspaper at the time? (For those that don't know the "Military Medal" was a gallantry award for "other ranks", but for the WW1 issues nearly all the citations were destroyed in WW2 so it's difficult to find out what act they were awarded for - the odd citation does turn up in regimental histories or contemporary newspapers, but the majority are lost forever)

Regarding photos of William Summerell I don't have any, just one of his sister Isabel Young, née Summerell, my great-grandmother.

If you can get in touch with Colin Reid, Alnwick publican - he has "Ye Olde Cross" Inn (aka "The Dirty Bottles") in Alnwick (or he did have, think he still does) he might be able to advise if a photo exists as he is one generation closer than me, William being his great uncle.