Thread: East Cemetery
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
This last week Men from The Commonwealth War Graves Commision Have been reinstating the headstone on thr grave of Military Police Crackett in East Cemetery,
this was moved to west cemetery several years ago, But The remains were left interred in east cemetery

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I've just had a look on the cemetery register to see whether the plot numbers indicate a foreign group. Certainly Grobka and the unknown were in B39 and B40. Our Norwegian, Ween, was in B20. Interestingly, the new CWG headstone for Sydney Crackett is B22.

Wasn't this side of the cemetery for non conformists? I know my Methodist ancestors were over there.
You're probably correct.My Uncle Sydney Crackett was a Methodist, as were all of my other ancestors buried in the plot shown in the photograph. His headstone has now been returned to the same location as his remains, since the CWGC now considers the East Cemetery a suitable place for a soldier to be interred. Thanks to the efforts of Amble Town Council there will be a dedication ceremony on 2nd November 2013 with the Methodist Minister present.