Thread: RAF Acklington
View Single Post
Old 16-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
The "Target Towing Flight" of No.6 AAPC was formed at Acklington on 1st June 1943 under No.72 Group's control. It was re-designated No.1630 Flight 16 days later, and its duties were absorbed by No.289 Sqdn on 1st December 1943. The camp was disbanded on 20th November 1944. One of the Lysander TT Mk.III target tugs used by the unit has been identified as P9111: the unit also used the purpose-built Miles Martinet TT Mk.I.

To my shame, I don't actually know where the ground personnel's camp was, although Hauxley and Cresswell appear to be good candidates for sub-camps as they would have been at each end of the air firing range along Druridge Bay.

Graeme
A target towing Lysander ended up upside down on the aerodrome on the 23rd July 1943:

"A Flying accident occurred at 1500 hours on the aerodrome involving Lysander No T1747 (Pilot P/O Finbow, with drogue operator). The aircraft turned over on its back on landing and sustained considerable damage but the occupants were uninjured.
It appeared that the trailing drogue cable caught in the corner of a blister hanger at low altitude causing momentary loss of control."

A dangerous occupation I think. The full report states P/O Finbow only had 5.5 hours experience with this type of aircraft. It doesn't mention the flight purpose in detail, just 'target towing' so not sure if it's anti aircraft practice or something else.