View Single Post
Old 13-02-2013, 04:55 PM

Thumbs up Coal at Chevington

Somewhere on The Forum Bullocks Hall Colliery is mentioned, I think by Coquet. He said that it showed an aerial ropeway on his map.
Well, I have checked a War Dept. map issued in 1940 but reproduced from a 1925 map of the area. The aerial ropeway is clearly shown going to Chevington Wood and ending just east side of the main LNER railway, (London/Edinburgh), and just south of the junction with the Broomhill/Amble line. There is a single-track railway from the Broomhill line to the end of the aerial ropeway. To me this suggests that coal drawn from Bullocks Hall Colliery was sent via the rope-way to the railway for transfer, possibly to Amble steaths and the ships. This line curves to the east before joining the Broomhill/Amble line therefore it seems unlikely that coal would be sent onto the main line.
The map also shows, interestingly for me, the single-track railway from Broomhill Colliery to Amble via the east side of Radcliffe, through Radcliffe Colliery(Disused).A further single track branch line is shown leaving the single track and terminating at Bondicarr Colliery.