View Single Post
Old 13-01-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
On that subject do we know where the victims were buried? Can't see any reference in the inscriptions at Warkworth beach road cemetery?

Generally in reference to the Radcliffe dead I've often thought we have a shortage of burials [or monumental inscriptions] for the Radcliffe folk up to the opening of the Amble east cemetery. The Radcliffe population was larger than Warkworth, and not that much smaller than Amble during this time. Janwin, have you got any transcriptions of burial registers for that period? Where are they all? In Warkworth, just no headstones?
Prior to the opening of Amble East Cemetery, Radcliffe burials would have been in the churchyard and new cemetery at Warkworth (opened 1862). A lot of graves would have had a wooden cross on, or nothing at all. As a for instance, we put up headstones just a few years ago at Warkworth for my grandparents and gr grandfather. They might have had one of those glass dome things with a flower underneath, but all that was there was a couple of mounds. I'd also tracked down some plots there for my great grandmother and great great grandparents, but was advised that there was no certainty about exact location. I suspect these had been re-used. It's very lucky if us normal peasants got a headstone, I'm afraid!
The burial registers for Warkworth are online and all the Radcliffe and Amble folk are there....outnumbering the Warkworth dead.

Last edited by janwhin; 13-01-2015 at 01:27 PM.