View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
most rounds i have found I passed on to a friend of my brother the blanks unable to make out base .never keep bases . of fired or any "live" rounds i find
will look in boxes see if still have odd round headed . lots of copper jacketed rounds on north side . I havent done the amble beaches for years . to do the dunes and grassed areas is disturbing flaura and fauna, not sure if links are no SSIs
It's ok Leslie, I might have some here I'll keep looking. Regarding the pointed heads, a couple of years back the seas must have been right because between Huxley and Druridge there were masses of the things in any hollow in the peat or clay that had been uncovered by the natural removal of sand. This is down a beach level. I didn't bother to pick any up.

£10 online for inert clip of 5 ww2 dated: http://www.jaybe-militaria.co.uk/303...eads-638-p.asp

Seen these being sold at various places over the years. Surprised they've reached a tenner a clip. Big market with increasing numbers of reenactors that like to wear WW2 gear I suppose!

The cartridge cases out of the ground are never up to much as for some reason - the copper leaches out of the brass and they go brittle. (the ones in the picture aren't out of the ground)