View Single Post
Old 09-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
Several possibilities for explanation to Lead Balls ,.

Black powder guns being used on range there would still be a quite a few around then in private hands , Hunting rabbits and game found lots on fields various calibers. Even down to being possible some of mine or brothers I had a old musket ball mold (found at quarry tip) that we made balls for catapults with for rabbits, fifties/early sixties era !.Brother still got mold I think. was making them upto a few years ago!
Over the years I have found many different types of Ammo. the links around this area were extensively used by military for manoeuvres . between wars and defences in wars . Just yesterday I dug up several .303 unfired Blanks, common find base plates from Grenades . and Mortar fins. buckets of 303 used cases. 38 and 45 rounds . Pistol /Revolver and thomson ammo all used by military . 20 mm cannon shells from aircraft, . even the working parts of a flintlock pistol

Are you finding many WW1 dated .303 cases Leslie? or the round nosed .303 bullets? I'm doing a board with a deactivated 1917 dated .303 SMLE for the Council's display and it would be nice to have a stripper clip of both types. Problem is when those brass cases have been in the ground a bit they get a copper rash and go a bit brittle.