View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al88c View Post
I've found a few of these myself and I think you're right about them being Martini Henry bullets. If so then they are the type of bullet that stopped the Zulus at Rorke's Drift.

The other bigger bullets I think are Sniders. These seem to be about 577 Caliber with 3 rings presumable where the bullet was crimped into the cartidge (Martini Henry rounds seem to have 2). Most of the ones I've found been flattened presumably at impact with the target, which if fired from 450+ yards must have been pretty solid. I was lucky enough to find one intact which I presume must have missed the mark - but it makes you think what it would be like if you were on the receiving end of it!

Cheers Al
Yes I think they must be. Wish I'd kept a few of the foil cartridge cases to go with them. The brass foil cases I think have a steel base which rusts, but I've 'got the gear' to delicately clean such things now. I probably didn't keep them back then due to this corrosion.

[edit: googling about I see the cartridges were manufactured with steel and brass bases. Here's some with the steel base as used sometime at Amble: http://www.martinihenry.org/index.ph...&product_id=93 ]