View Single Post
Old 26-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Hi Vagabond, The big bunch of graves was near the building now called The Granary 'The Old Storehouse', in a quarry worked from the cliffs at Wellhaugh point.

The first page of Hodgson's history gives the detail: (I think Pevsner has confused the 1857 and 1883 discoveries as the same location, they are not)

But it was in 1883 that the quarry (which is situated half a mile south of the spot where the cist was found in 1857) yielded prolific results ; they have been described in papers read before the Society of Antiquaries of London by the Rev. William Greenwell :

It consisted of a cairn, made of cobble stones from the neighbouring sea-beach, placed upon a thin layer of vegetable mould with clayey soil beneath, overlying the rock. The cairn had been about 40 feet in diameter and 5 feet high. It was situated on the low bank there bounding the sea-beach, about 70 yards from its edge, and was entirely concealed under a deposit of blown sand, 9 feet thick, and therefore rising 4 feet above the top of the cairn.
Though when discovered it was but a short distance from the sea, it is evident that when first erected it must have been much further distant, so far indeed as to be beyond the limit of sand blown from the beach. That this must have been the case appears to be proved by the fact that, whereas when discovered the cairn was buried like the adjoining ground under many feet of sand, it had been, when first thrown up, placed upon the ordinary surface mould which had no sand upon it, and, therefore, must have been beyond the range to which sand blown from the seashore extended.
It had contained, so far as I could ascertain, about twenty cists of the usual kind and several deposits of burnt bones, an unusually large number of interments in one sepulchral mound. There were also seven vessels of pottery, one of which I found myself.

more detail on that one on the Hodgson's page for Amble

I expect the cairn was similar to the Bondicar one shown in this thread:http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ambl...read.php?t=255

the quarry is shown on this map:

same area on google maps