View Single Post
Old 13-04-2018, 09:27 AM

Sorry for the half a decade thread revival, but on Monday I wandered with my camera from Guyzance Mill (now with locked gate and no entry signs) to what I assume is the old wool mill by the bridge.

I inadvertently accessed the site of the chapel on the way - I say inadvertently as I didn't realise it was private land. There is a footpath from the road down to and along the river under the bridge, where there are a couple of stiles, one of which leads into the field (behind the tree in the photo below), so I rather naively just assumed it was a public footpath along the river or something, though there were no signs of anyone having used it recently - no footprints in the sand under the bridge or anything.

Only later when I emerged back onto the road did I see the "private, no entry" sign on the gate and immediately felt rather guilty, but of course it was too late by then.

I assumed it was a derelict barn or something until I got closer. I wasn't expecting it to be the remains of a chapel dating back to the 11th century.