View Single Post
Old 03-04-2018, 02:18 PM

John Thomas Duncan was the son of John Duncan of Gibson Street, the auctioneer whom we've discussed before. In that thread there was also a mention of a possible fire in Duncan's Buildings and I've come across something in the newspapers which might be relevant. The fire happened in 1909 and refers to the West End Co-op. The only Co-op I remember was round the corner of Bede Street/Albert Street. The butcher was in Bede Street and then the grocery came round the corner....my grandparents lived in the flat above, moving in about 1925. Could the Co-op have originally been on the opposite side of Albert Street?
Alnwick Mercury, 18 December 1909:
"An alarm was given about 6 o'clock on Tuesday morning when a fire broke out on the premises of the West End branch of the Amble Co-operative Society. A man living above the shop and warehouses discovered the outbreak, and in a remarkably short time the whole of the employees were on the scene, and had the hose attached to the street water pipes, and soon after the Amble Fire Brigade got their apparatus into working order and the fire was ultimately got under control. A large quantity of flour had been the day before deposited in the warehouse, all of which was entirely destroyed. Bacon, butter, and many other goods were destroyed to the estimated extent of £200, which was covered by insurance."