View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Alnwick Mercury 3rd of September 1870
Alnwick Board of Guardians
RADCLIFFE COLLIERY. — An order was made by the magistrates a few years ago upon Mr Harrison and others to construct drains and privies at the colliery. The drains then suggested were all laid down, and they now appear to be open and in good order, but the privy accommodation is very defective. On the south side of the long row of cottages privies have been provided at a good distance from the houses. On the north side of the long row, cross row, and south row, Mr Harrison has provided no privies, although he promised at the time to construct them for all properties at and about Radcliffe Colliery. The water supply is very defective, and could not be worse in quality. The principal supply is got from an open ditch which crosses the road leading to Coldrife. This water is raised by the pumping engine, about a mile and a half west of Radcliffe colliery houses. Several drains at Togston House and Hall run into it. This quality of water is quite unfit for any domestic purpose or whatever. The people are also supplied with a portion of steam water from the engines, which is also unfit for use. A most lamentable complaint was made to me by all of the people of the place relative to the bad quality of water. If anything can be done to compel the owners of the colliery to provide water good in quality and sufficient in quantity, the board ought to take proceedings against the owners at once. As this is the worst case I know of, I would not been Lisa Price of colour was to break out at the above place; several parties, during the last few days, have been attacked with premonitory diarrhoea.