Thread: Amble and WWI
View Single Post
Old 16-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoal View Post
Yes. For some men there are no records sadly.
I discovered the Imperial War Museum site before I discovered Coquet and Coast and Amble and District. I started (1987) with remembering Robert 'Bob' Close who I had the privilege to meet when he was 93 years old and his pals from some photo-postcards he kept.
I also have some other newspaper cuttings and postcards of the time. I no longer live in Amble, so could not help you at a local level. I would be only to happy to help you with research in anyway I can. I have paid for access to Premium Records with Imperial War Museum, their project lasts for the 4 years of the Centenary.

Another source not online yet that might help you is the Red Cross records. Not sure how that digitization is progressing. They have data collected on individuals that passed through the field hospitals and Prisoners of war (all nationalities). That could fill in the gaps on some of the missing from other sources if we are lucky. I have heard they have such things as lists of the contents of the pockets of those soldiers died of wounds. So pretty detailed stuff. If they have recorded the home town of the wounded then it will be the rosetta stone in the attempt to get a definitive list of those who served, as 'discharged due to wounds' will be a big chunk of those with no other decent records.