View Single Post
Old 23-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyfrost View Post
I am May Baxters daughter, Shirley, if you get this message can you reply to my friend who does the computer work for me, her name is Pam and it is pambardoe@hotmail.com, please make sure you put Baxter in the subject so she knows it is not a span email.
Regards Shirley
Hi Shirley, I did email the above address but never received a response. Regarding the Baxters I don't really have anything more that what is on the website unfortunately, but there is this in the Morpeth Herald, 23rd April 1915, which adds more to the story of John, (still in India in the report above, but anxious to get to the front):

Mr and Mrs Robert Baxter of Shilbottle, Northumberland have five sons serving with the colours. One of them Private J.D. Baxter, is at present lying in York County Hospital, wounded, having been shot in the left lung. Private J.D. Baxter returned from India with the 2nd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers at Christmas, and was drafted to the Front. On February 17 he was wounded with shrapnel and removed to Rouen Hospital. On Leaving the hospital he returned to the firing line on March 15, and on March 20th he was again wounded severely. When his parents saw him in York Hospital he was much better than they expected. He told them about 3 o'clock on March 20th he was struck with a bullet or segment from a shrapnel shell, and for 12 hours afterwards he lay amongst barbed wire before being found by the Red Cross ambulance detachment.