View Single Post
Old 14-02-2016, 07:56 PM
Administrator

I've sketched this out for the geology/coalfield page, if we ever get there. Not sure if there is any interest in this stuff but I feel it will be required before doing anything on the local pits.

Shows the Amble strata in the grand scheme of things. Had the resolution set wrong on the drawing program due to moving to a new computer and not noticing until finished so it is a bit blurry, have not got the stomach to draw it again so stuck with it.

Shows the 'alien' Shillbottle coal, and how different it is, being about 20 Ma (mega annum - million years) older that the rest of the field.

I've noted that the Hauxley Brockwell seam was the oldest (note: not deepest due to faulting) worked south of the Coquet but I think the Shillbottle coals were perhaps worked south of the Coquet to the west?

This relates to Amble, as (for example) the whole of the coal measures (Westphalian) is missing towards Shilbottle and to the north, which is older limestone country.

I've looked at this about 90 times and think it is ok, if you think something is wrong shout out.

[Source material for the local part - Rothbury, Alnwick and Newbiggin Geology Maps 1:50000 series]