Coquet and Coast Forum

Coquet and Coast Forum (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/index.php)
-   Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Origins of Red Row (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/showthread.php?t=328)

janwhin 26-11-2013 05:11 PM

Origins of Red Row

I've been reading with interest all of the messages about the shops at Red Row and the Willows. I'm waiting to see my brother in law to tap into his cerebral gold mine about all that......he grew up at the Willows.

But, in the meantime, when did Red Row come into existence? I've been having a look at the maps (for Hadstone) on the Northumberland Communities site and it seems that in about 1860 there was a school and smithy there, at the top of Whitefield Bank, but that was all. On the 1897 map, the Willows and Swarland Terrace are up and the 1920 map is good. If you have a look at where the Buffs is you'll see a reference to a Club and Institute and then to a Red Triangle Club (was this to become the Primrose Hall?). The picture hall is there too. Great stuff :)

Just googled red triangle clubs and apparently they're the YMCA but I guess everybody knew that!

borderlad 26-11-2013 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's a great link. Fancy them building a school before a club. They have a trade directory attached

borderlad 28-11-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borderlad (Post 3103)
That's a great link. Fancy them building a school before a club. They have a trade directory attached

Two family`s, Hetherington and Coxon remained in business until the 50s/60s

borderlad 29-11-2013 08:06 PM

Main road south

1 Attachment(s)
I don`t remember those walls, steep bank

John@theDrift 30-11-2013 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried to recreate the photo a little while ago
NB. If you are going to try the same, take care of X18 bus approaching from rear! They don't slow down! :(

janwhin 30-11-2013 11:28 AM

I don't know, you wait hours for a bus and then..........

John@theDrift 30-11-2013 01:24 PM

and don't get me started on the X20 Janwhin!

borderlad 01-12-2013 03:12 PM

Think I`ll leave the photo recreation to you :) Had another look at the 1860 map. There seem to be a row of houses opposite the smithy but most of these are gone on the 1897 map when the Willows appear. Could this be "the red row"?
I remember going on a school nature walk on the path from the buffs to West Chevington, seemed to have been well used at some time

Parsonx 01-12-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borderlad (Post 3123)
Think I`ll leave the photo recreation to you :) Had another look at the 1860 map. There seem to be a row of houses opposite the smithy but most of these are gone on the 1897 map when the Willows appear. Could this be "the red row"?
I remember going on a school nature walk on the path from the buffs to West Chevington, seemed to have been well used at some time

Used to wander that same path with our class.Grandparents were from west chevington.

janwhin 02-12-2013 10:09 AM

If you have a look at the Chevington Crescent thread you'll see a discussion and some maps about this old route via the Buffs :)

borderlad 02-12-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janwhin (Post 3125)
If you have a look at the Chevington Crescent thread you'll see a discussion and some maps about this old route via the Buffs :)

Looked at thread thanks. Guess the kids from West Chevington must have walked to the school that way. Looking at the old map of 1865 it looks like the nearest miners houses to Red Row were at South Broomhill.
I can just remember visiting my granny there early 1950s as they were being demolished. Her mother Catherine Smith lived at Radcliffe and I think she was killed when she was hit by a door blown in the wind

janwhin 02-12-2013 02:36 PM

Chevington Colliery and houses were up and running in the 1870s or at least that's the earliest mention I can find for them in the newspapers.