Coquet and Coast Forum

Coquet and Coast Forum (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/index.php)
-   Amble and Hauxley (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Coquet Island (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/showthread.php?t=105)

janwhin 09-04-2012 11:57 AM

Coquet Island

Slaters Directory of 1855 has the following useful snippet about the lighthouse:

"On Coquet Island has lately been erected by the Trinity Board, through the spirited exertions of Thomas Brown Esq. of Amble House, a lighthouse, at a cost of £14,000."

Coquet 09-04-2012 12:44 PM

I noticed yesterday looking at the 1841 census that none of the family (9) are are born in the county, the youngest being 2 years of age, so they must have been a recent arrivals?

Do you have any more info on Mr Brown? (or 'Browne')

janwhin 09-04-2012 12:53 PM

Yes, I noticed that they were out of the county. I don't have any more information apart from picking up the baptism of the youngest child, Ephraim, at Warkworth: "Ephraim Selby Browne son of Thomas and Eleanor Judith of Amble, gentleman."

I couldn't find them on 1851 census, which is interesting, given the report in Slaters Directory.

I can have a bit more of a furtle.

Coquet 09-04-2012 02:36 PM

He was a solicitor I believe, that from the 1851 census where he appears to be living in "The Crescent" Kensington London. So wasn't here for any great period.
Born Southwick Durham - his sister is there with him on the census, she being a ship-owner. Appropriately the son, Thomas Browne Jnr, is a census clerk.

Coquet 09-04-2012 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a nice snippet:

GAME.
The Countess of Newburgh having given the Deputation
over all her Lands within the Manor of Amble to Mr Thomas Browne, of Amble,
all persons are cautioned against Sporting on the said lands, without leave from the said Thomas Browne.
Amble, 4th Sept., 1845.

(The Newcastle Courant, Friday, September 12, 1845)

oh! here's an even better one:

Coquet 09-04-2012 03:12 PM

Odd stuff this local history, you have one question that promptly turns into five. :D

Coquet 09-04-2012 03:21 PM

LIME KILN TO LET
A Capital LIME KILN to LET, situated on the River Coquet, adjoining
Radcliffe Colliery Railway, and the Newcastle and Berwick Branch Railways.
Coals can be had by Means of the Colliery Railway at 1s per Ton delivered;
and Limestone from the adjacent Quarries by the Public Railway, through
which Medium Lime can be sent to all Parts of the Country, Apply to
Thomas Browne, Amble, near Alnwick.
April 26th, 1847

janwhin 09-04-2012 04:37 PM

Here's another one.
Probate for Thomas Browne Esq. 16 July 1862, London Principal Registry.
The will of Thomas Browne late of 73 Upper Stamford Street, Blackfriars in the county of Surrey and of Amble in the County of Northumberland, gentleman, deceased, who died April 11, 1862, at Upper Stamford Street, aforesaid, was proved at the Principal Registry by the oath of Ephraim Selby Browne of 73 Upper Stamford Street, aforesaid, gentleman, the son and one of the executors.

Effects, under £20. (an early example of tax avoidance).

janwhin 10-04-2012 12:56 PM

Coquet Island and Thomas Browne

Turn over a stone and it's interesting what you find!

According to Trinity House, they built the lighthouse in 1841 at a cost of £3268 (bit different to Browne's £14,000)

Thomas Browne was a Warkworth Harbour Commissioner, partner in Radcliffe Coal Company and shipowner. In 1848 he faced bankruptcy proceedings, the petitioner being Mary Dodds of Alnwick, widow and woollen and linen draper. The Jurist and London Gazette confirmed the bankruptcy in 1849 (Newcastle District Court). Newcastle Courant 10 March 1854, notice stating that on 31 March a first and final dividend would be made in the case of Thomas Browne of Amble, shipowner.
There is a court case taken by Browne against a boatbuilder who refused to release a boat he had built. Apparently it had been paid for part cash and part bills of exchange drawn on Radcliffe coal company, signed only by Browne. The court found against Browne.
Perhaps the entry in 1855 Slater Directory was a bit of spin, designed to restore a public reputation?
Thomas Browne buried Kensal Green, All Souls, Kensington, London on 16 April 1862, aged 60.