Coquet and Coast Forum

Coquet and Coast Forum (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/index.php)
-   Warkworth and Birling (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   does anyone remember????? (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/showthread.php?t=684)

peter allison 17-06-2018 12:33 PM

does anyone remember?????

I am looking for any photos or information on the village butcher Alf Moore, I have an interest, as he taught me everything I first learnt as a butcher, buying from Acklington mart, slaughtering at the FMC abattoir at Wooler, to making sausages and black pudding, at 13 yrs old. And been told off at the "new local C of E school for working at the tender age of 14, Oh, my mum and dad owned the Warkworth House Hotel 1971 to 1976

peter allison 17-06-2018 01:42 PM

bit of useless info.. Alfred Moore had a small slaughterhouse, stone built in a field, on the outskirts of Warkworth, on the left hand side. I have no info on it tho, as to when it was built or used. He did tell me he drove his cattle and sheep for Acklington, each thursday. I did go and have a mosey, as you do, but that was years ago, in the 70's, its probably not there now

hollydog 17-06-2018 08:20 PM

Hi Peter welcome to the forum. I have an Arthur Young painting of the killing shop somewhere, will dig it out. The building is still there, about 1/2 mile north of Warkworth near Killicrankie bends. Alf Moore has a daughter I believe.

hollydog 17-06-2018 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is, more info here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

peter allison 18-06-2018 12:25 PM

yes, thats it. I did look on Google Earth, yesterday, and saw it.
More about Alfs daughter, is her name Marlene, per chance. If it is, I used to give her a hand to wash dogs, when she did dog clipping, behind her dads shop in Warkworth. I would dearly like to make her acquaintance, its been a long time since 1970 something

Bindyboo 21-06-2018 04:43 PM

Marlene

Well Alf`s daughter is very popular this week as I would like to make her acquaintance too. She was really good friends of my parents in the 1960`s but they lost touch. I tried to track her down years ago for my Mother but to no avail. Sadly my Mum has passed away now. Can anyone help? Did she marry? I was told she helped her mother as a seamstress or they had a dress shop.

peter allison 21-06-2018 05:38 PM

well there you have it readers, thats 2 people who want to get in touch. To the best of my recollection from years ago, I THINK she was married and divorced, but that when I was a kid

Alan J. 22-06-2018 06:33 AM

As for remembering, Alfie Moore had a White horse at one point, the late 60's. When Sonny Liston, the boxer, visited Newcastle he wanted to ride through the streets on a White horse, Alfie loaned his and there was quite a bit of local coverage in the press.

peter allison 22-06-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan J. (Post 7443)
As for remembering, Alfie Moore had a White horse at one point, the late 60's. When Sonny Liston, the boxer, visited Newcastle he wanted to ride through the streets on a White horse, Alfie loaned his and there was quite a bit of local coverage in the press.

I remember him showing me the photo on a few occasions, I think it was taken by someone from the Chronicle. I have looked for info on the web, but sadly not come across any info, or where I can see the photo :-(

peter allison 22-06-2018 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
or is this one of them, it does not mention Alfs name tho, whereas the one I saw, did.... i think

MiriamG 22-06-2018 04:56 PM

What a great photo!

Love the trousers on the man leading the horse.

janwhin 23-06-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiriamG (Post 7448)
Love the trousers on the man leading the horse.

Was that not Alfie Moore?

peter allison 23-06-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janwhin (Post 7450)
Was that not Alfie Moore?

I think so, but I not am 100% sure, as reading somewhere, it was a local milkmans horse

Hadston_Green 29-05-2022 07:11 AM

Alf Moore’s butchers for sale 1977

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter allison (Post 7411)
I am looking for any photos or information on the village butcher Alf Moore, I have an interest, as he taught me everything I first learnt as a butcher, buying from Acklington mart, slaughtering at the FMC abattoir at Wooler, to making sausages and black pudding, at 13 yrs old. And been told off at the "new local C of E school for working at the tender age of 14, Oh, my mum and dad owned the Warkworth House Hotel 1971 to 1976

Alf sold up in 1977

Hadston_Green 29-05-2022 07:29 AM

Warkworth House Hotel

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter allison (Post 7411)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadston_Green (Post 8129)
Alf sold up in 1977

Is that your mum in the photo Peter?

peter allison 30-05-2022 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadston_Green (Post 8130)
Is that your mum in the photo Peter?

yes, thats my late mum and dad. I would dearly love a copy of the original tho

Hadston_Green 30-05-2022 11:31 AM

Photo

The image is so dark I never noticed your Dad on the right - it says the photo is by the Northumberland Gazette -

Hadston_Green 30-05-2022 04:35 PM

New owners of WHH in 1971

4 Attachment(s)
enthusiastic new owners took over the Warkworth House Hotel. Some nice quotes in the attached article

peter allison 31-05-2022 07:14 AM

I must admit, after a bit of digging and taking a free membership thing, I found and saw that advert, and posted it to the Warkworth Facebook and my page. I need to get a small photo scanner, as I have a lot of old photos taken there