Coquet and Coast Forum

Coquet and Coast Forum (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/index.php)
-   The Lost Villages, Radcliffe and Chevington Drift. (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BBC Film (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/showthread.php?t=12)

Pete 16-04-2010 07:49 PM

BBC Film

Some short films on coal mining in the north east including a fascinating insight into Radcliffe "lost" village

BBC Nation on Film__Coal Mining if anyone can post a link

Coquet 17-04-2010 03:21 AM

I think I know the clip you're thinking about and I can't get the direct link to work either, but it's the last link on this BBC page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nationonfilm/lo...mberland.shtml

Housing for Miners - New Housing ........Radcliffe is going to die....

(Radcliffe people soon to move to Amble)

Coquet 17-04-2010 10:56 AM

Been racking my brain to try and remember the bbc interviewer's name. Michael Rodd it is.

Pete 21-04-2010 12:17 AM

Don't know his name, but the feller he was interviewing gave a good account of himself. It may have been a tin bath in front of the fire and a stand pipe in the street, but you can't buy a sense a community like that.

I had a job in Cotgrave, Notts three or four year ago and going for a pint after work, i was mobbed by a gang of old timers when they heard my accent. Turns out they'd moved down there in the 70's to work at the pit when Radcliffe came down. I had many a home cooked meal despite being 200 miles from home. Best folk in the world, us :D

Coquet 21-04-2010 08:48 PM

It all looks rather peaceful and idyllic, how times change.

Quote:

I had a job in Cotgrave, Notts three or four year ago and going for a pint after work, i was mobbed by a gang of old timers when they heard my accent. Turns out they'd moved down there in the 70's to work at the pit when Radcliffe came down. I had many a home cooked meal despite being 200 miles from home. Best folk in the world, us
I think there was a big recruiting drive for the nottinghamshire coalfields in the 70s, the Radcliffe men would've been ideal candidates

amble 12-09-2010 05:33 AM

my uncle was from radcliffe

hi

williamtheyounger 22-12-2010 04:03 PM

radcliffe and Hauxley Pit

Hi I watched the bbc footage and it brought back memories for me as I used to cycle from Hadston, past Radcliffe everyday when I worked as an apprentice fitter at Hauxley pit. At least 2 of the fitters I worked with came from radcliffe, Ronnie Scott was one, and I later played football with him for Red Row welfare. The other was Ernie Tulley a stout man, who at the time was a Northumberland County Counciler. I left Hauxley when I married my wife, and transferred to Newbiggin pit, where she came from. However the new seam they were developing was not going to work, so I transferred to Welbeck in Nottinghamshire in 1966, where I lived for 6 years. There were numerous miners from the radcliffe and Amble area. They still live there.
My dad used to drive the haulage engine at Coldrife Drift, and he told me when he left school, he started work as a riveter at a boat yard in Amble, I am not sure who he worked for.

MadMalx 27-12-2010 07:20 PM

There was a video made in the 70's I think about Chevington Drift(The village that wouldn't die?), not sure if anyone has a copy of it or not?

John@theDrift 03-01-2011 10:58 AM

I am reliably informed that the interviewee from Radcliffe was a man named Temple Carruthers.
Also I remember a film crew spending a lot of time at the Drift circa 1975 although no one I know can remember the film ever being broadcast. It would be very interesting if this film was still in existance. Has anyone any suggestions as to how to find out?

Pete 03-01-2011 01:04 PM

The film was never broadcast John. I did find details of the production company who made the film and emailed them but never got a reply.
Pity cos it would be fascinating to see

John@theDrift 07-01-2011 07:39 PM

Thankyou for the reply Pete. It would certainly be interesting. I remember them setting up an interview with some of the matriarchs in my Mam's back kitchen. Would it be worth trying to contact the company again?

Pete 08-01-2011 08:59 PM

The Drift: the village that wouldn't die

Hi John, for some reason i can't post links on here, but if you go to the British Film Institutes(BFI) website it appears they have the film archived.
If you follow the links on the webpage you can find contact details.Hopefully you may have more success than i.

John@theDrift 11-01-2011 08:12 PM

Nice one Pete, will do that and let you know. Cheers.

templesam 05-03-2012 02:26 PM

It is indeed Temple Carruthers,my late father.The item was shown on Look North.The interviewer was Michael Rodd. I have a copy of the tape which I managed to track down from the BBC archives.

Pete 22-03-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by templesam (Post 584)
It is indeed Temple Carruthers,my late father.The item was shown on Look North.The interviewer was Michael Rodd. I have a copy of the tape which I managed to track down from the BBC archives.

Any chance of a youtube upload perhaps?

templesam 21-05-2012 03:19 PM

you tube

i will work on it,

Digvul 22-05-2012 08:51 AM

I stumbled on this video a number of years ago and found it fascinating, especially as at one stage the camera is set up in our garden. I can't find a way to record it. I emailed someone connected with the video and asked about the possibility of obtaining a copy. I laid on nostalgia and social significance as thickly as I could. I got a reply from someone at the BBC who said they would try to help, but I heard no more after that.

Templesam, I've sent you a personal message.

templesam 26-02-2013 10:18 PM

Radcliffe Village

I have now got a good copy of the BBC dvd of Radcliffe

Coquet 03-05-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by templesam (Post 1724)
I have now got a good copy of the BBC dvd of Radcliffe

Is this available for purchase anywhere templesam?

templesam 01-10-2014 08:37 PM

Radcliffe Village

Eventually posted the film of my dad talking about Radcliffe Village on YOU TUBE = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up2mvz7y-Po
Should the link not work ,simply type "Radcliffe Northumberland" in the search box on you tube