Coquet and Coast Forum

Coquet and Coast Forum (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/index.php)
-   New member zone (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Family Tree, new member (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/showthread.php?t=286)

bobc 16-09-2013 06:39 PM

Family Tree, new member

Hi all
Was recommended to visit this forum(it has not disappointed) to find any information anyone had on the Craigs family? They lived in various mining communities in Northumberland from Newton on the moor, Bebside Furnace, Warkworth, and then on the 1911census lived in Brick Row. From this forum I have found that my great grandfather & great grandmother along with 3 other members of the family are buried in East Chevington Cemetery, was a burial plot record ever kept?

John@theDrift 16-09-2013 09:53 PM

Hello Bob, pleased you found the site and are finding it interesting
Hope you will get plenty of information from the members, John

John@theDrift 16-09-2013 10:06 PM

And yes, I believe the burial ledger is retained at Woodhorn?

janwhin 17-09-2013 08:14 AM

Bob, welcome to the site. Woodhorn tends to have maps of all the burial plots for our cemeteries. I know I've looked at one for Warkworth and Amble there, so I'm sure they'll have Chevington.

The Woodhorn staff are very helpful if you want to ring them or email. Their contact details in the introduction to the registers on this sister site.

bobc 19-09-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janwhin (Post 2536)
Bob, welcome to the site. Woodhorn tends to have maps of all the burial plots for our cemeteries. I know I've looked at one for Warkworth and Amble there, so I'm sure they'll have Chevington.

The Woodhorn staff are very helpful if you want to ring them or email. Their contact details in the introduction to the registers on this sister site.

Thanks to both John@the Drift & janwhin for the above info. Have given them a ring, but unfortunately they don't have burial plot records for Chevington.
Bob.

janwhin 20-09-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobc (Post 2558)
Thanks to both John@the Drift & janwhin for the above info. Have given them a ring, but unfortunately they don't have burial plot records for Chevington.
Bob.

That's disappointing, the registers must still be with the local council, would that be Chevington Parish Council? Another source of information might be the local funeral directors? John Stoddart at Amble: 01665 712277 or the Co-op: 01665 710437.

janwhin 22-09-2013 09:07 PM

One more thing Bob on your great grandparents, the Chevington burial register held at Woodhorn has the burial plot number next to the entry, so for example, I know my grandfather is in J047. It might be an idea to get this first before you approach anybody for a map of the cemetery. :)

bobc 23-09-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janwhin (Post 2574)
One more thing Bob on your great grandparents, the Chevington burial register held at Woodhorn has the burial plot number next to the entry, so for example, I know my grandfather is in J047. It might be an idea to get this first before you approach anybody for a map of the cemetery. :)

Thanks for that extra information :D I emailed the parish clerk and he was not sure who to contact, but gave me a website address to check out. This gave me the phone number of the person who deals with East Chevington Cemetery, I will get back to Woodhorn first and see what they come up with. Many thanks:)

bobc 25-09-2013 09:21 PM

Success :D the person responsible for the cemetery from Northumberland Council has come up with all the info I required, along with a plot plan and an overall plan showing each section.

just william 02-10-2013 06:43 PM

cemetery map

hi bobc,
just read your thread about the layout of the cemetery.
could i ask if you would put the plans on the forum.

only if its ok by you, the forum and "copy-right".

i to have just found family members in chevington.

regards, william.

Coquet 03-10-2013 07:00 AM

It's not possible to put it on here without the council's permission, but how you communicate material between yourselves for private study is up to you ;)