Coquet and Coast Forum

Coquet and Coast Forum (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/index.php)
-   General topics (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1939 Register (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/showthread.php?t=394)

Coquet 19-07-2017 11:42 PM

NORTH BROOMHILL, SOUTH BROOMHILL, HADSTONE, WOODSIDE

25 inch Maps
South Broomhill 1921
Togston North Broomhill 1921

24 pages

High Coldriffe, Hadstone Link House, Link House Red Row, Hadstone South Broomhill, Hadstone Farm Cottages, Hadstone Farm Broomhill, Woodside Dairy Red Row, Woodside Red Row, Royal Air Force Aerodrome, Broomhill Farm Broomhill, Broomhill Farm Cottages, Cross Row Broomhill, Post Office S. Broomhill, Hadstone Row Broomhill, Middle Row S.Broomhill, North Row South Broomhill, Young's Blds Broomhill, Bungalow S. Broomhill, Cooperative Cottage South Broomhill, Central House Broomhill, Equitable House Broomhill, The Hostel Broomhill School, School House Broomhill, Bethel Cottage Broomhill, Sea View Broomhill, Barties Town Broomhill, Coronation Terrace, Pasture House Broomhill, Manor House Broomhill, Reading? Cottage Broomhill, Office Hse Broomhill, West View Broomhill, ?????ton Hse Broomhill, Warkworth Ter Broomhill, Eage? Hill (Mill?) Broomhill, Station Hotel Broomhill, Station Road Broomhill, Turnbull's Bla Broomhill, Park View Broomhill, Police Station Broomhill, Stone Row Broomhill, Six Cottages Broomhill, School Row Broomhill, Railway Row N. Broomhill, Felstead? North Broomhill, Store Cottages Broomhill, Bee Hive Cottage Broomhill, Store House Broomhill, Co-operative Blds Broomhill, Towns?? Crossing Broomhill,

Coquet 20-07-2017 12:05 AM

RED ROW

25 inch map
Red Row 1921

23 Pages

bailbob 21-07-2017 06:27 PM

I am interested to know that you have the record for the Ships of the Harbour. I am interested as my father George William Bailes was the engineer on the dredger and he does not appear with the rest of his family on the register. Can you point me to the record. Thanks , Bob Bailes rkbailes@talktalk.net

Coquet 21-07-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailbob (Post 7039)
I am interested to know that you have the record for the Ships of the Harbour. I am interested as my father George William Bailes was the engineer on the dredger and he does not appear with the rest of his family on the register. Can you point me to the record. Thanks , Bob Bailes rkbailes@talktalk.net

The Merchant Navy men are concentrated across two pages, 16 and 17 in this set of 19 pages. Ships and most home addresses noted. I assume these men are on their ships on the day the register was drawn up. Other crew members appear to be at their home addresses. William Smith is the only one without his home address noted.

Gordon 09-05-2018 06:07 PM

Now on Ancestry!

lisamariepri 24-06-2018 06:38 PM

Hi, Just seen your message about my great great grandad Oreste Poggi; I can confirm he wasn't send to a concentration camp and was a British citizen at the time :)

Coquet 24-06-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisamariepri (Post 7460)
Hi, Just seen your message about my great great grandad Oreste Poggi; I can confirm he wasn't send to a concentration camp and was a British citizen at the time :)

I'm really glad to hear it! He probably sailed the colliers with my grandfather and great grandfather on occasions.

lisamariepri 27-06-2018 09:40 AM

there's a possibility, what was your grandads / great grandads name?

bit random but i have a photo of my gt gt grandad with a bunch of unknown people not sure if you were interested in having a look and seeing if you recognize anyone?

Coquet 28-06-2018 08:00 PM

Yes I'd love to see the photo. my ancestors on the boats were Ned Young (grandfather), his brother Tom, and Joe Henderson (g-grandfather)

Coquet 28-06-2018 08:19 PM

Eric Simonsen's book 'Warkworth Harbour' has a group photo with your ancestor (was he known as Harry Poggi?) Ship is SS Hauxley, the year 1939.

The photo has : Harry Poggi, Bosun; Jimmy Grey, Messroom Steward; Pop Buttle, A.B.; Myry Smithsman, A.B.; Frank Anderson, A.B.; Fred Graham, Cook Steward; George Buckley A.B.; Frank Flannigan A.B.

Coquet 28-06-2018 08:40 PM

More Maritime Types

A little off topic but here's another one of mine a few of the Amble seniors will remember, great uncle Dobson Young, AKA 'Dop', brother of Ned and Tom mentioned above. Lived High Street, married Nellie Pringle. Bit of a bad boy in his youth, got in to bother and sent to a training ship for correction and discipline. Took to it like a fish to water and had a career at sea, became a ship's Purser.

https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/ima...bson-young.jpg

lisamariepri 29-06-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coquet (Post 7482)
Eric Simonsen's book 'Warkworth Harbour' has a group photo with your ancestor (was he known as Harry Poggi?) Ship is SS Hauxley, the year 1939.

The photo has : Harry Poggi, Bosun; Jimmy Grey, Messroom Steward; Pop Buttle, A.B.; Myry Smithsman, A.B.; Frank Anderson, A.B.; Fred Graham, Cook Steward; George Buckley A.B.; Frank Flannigan A.B.

wow! i never knew that; i had a quick search and cant seem to find the book any idea where to find a copy?
Thank you

lisamariepri 29-06-2018 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the old pictures I have

middle back row: Oreste Poggi
Im not sure who the other people are :)

Attachment 817

**Please do not share this photo on any other site without my permission. Thank you!**

Alan J. 30-06-2018 06:40 AM

I remember Mr Poggi, we lived in Windsor Terrace when first married, 1964/72 and he lived there too, about the middle of the street. He was an old man then, walking with a stick but was always friendly and pleasant.

lisamariepri 02-07-2018 10:10 PM

so glad to hear that :) I cant believe you remember him!

jumpy shore 04-07-2018 12:32 PM

Mr Poggi seems to have been a well know character, he is well remembered by my Dad as 'Pop' Poggi and always eager for conversation on local news. Ronnie and Harry his sons are well known too, Did they have Pubs in the Durham area?

lisamariepri 06-07-2018 08:36 PM

he passed away over 50 years ago so to know people still remember him is really nice.
The poggi boys did own a pub apparently it was called the coach and horses.

any idea where i can get a copy of the book mentioned above with a pic of him in?

MickW 14-03-2024 04:52 PM

Pasture House

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coquet (Post 7035)
NORTH BROOMHILL, SOUTH BROOMHILL, HADSTONE, WOODSIDE

25 inch Maps
South Broomhill 1921
Togston North Broomhill 1921

24 pages

High Coldriffe, Hadstone Link House, Link House Red Row, Hadstone South Broomhill, Hadstone Farm Cottages, Hadstone Farm Broomhill, Woodside Dairy Red Row, Woodside Red Row, Royal Air Force Aerodrome, Broomhill Farm Broomhill, Broomhill Farm Cottages, Cross Row Broomhill, Post Office S. Broomhill, Hadstone Row Broomhill, Middle Row S.Broomhill, North Row South Broomhill, Young's Blds Broomhill, Bungalow S. Broomhill, Cooperative Cottage South Broomhill, Central House Broomhill, Equitable House Broomhill, The Hostel Broomhill School, School House Broomhill, Bethel Cottage Broomhill, Sea View Broomhill, Barties Town Broomhill, Coronation Terrace, Pasture House Broomhill, Manor House Broomhill, Reading? Cottage Broomhill, Office Hse Broomhill, West View Broomhill, ?????ton Hse Broomhill, Warkworth Ter Broomhill, Eage? Hill (Mill?) Broomhill, Station Hotel Broomhill, Station Road Broomhill, Turnbull's Bla Broomhill, Park View Broomhill, Police Station Broomhill, Stone Row Broomhill, Six Cottages Broomhill, School Row Broomhill, Railway Row N. Broomhill, Felstead? North Broomhill, Store Cottages Broomhill, Bee Hive Cottage Broomhill, Store House Broomhill, Co-operative Blds Broomhill, Towns?? Crossing Broomhill,

Pasture House is on this list but I couldn’t find it on the map- any idea where it is? Thanks.