Coquet and Coast Forum

Coquet and Coast Forum (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/index.php)
-   Amble and Hauxley (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Burton & Richardson Mineral Water Company Amble (https://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/amble-northumberland/showthread.php?t=180)

Burton descendant 14-11-2012 06:59 PM

Burton & Richardson Mineral Water Company Amble

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of the Works Outing for all the staff of the "Soda Pop Company" as Grandma always called it. This photo has always been in my family.
Does anyone recognise the building and it's location?

My father wrote the notes on the back. The owner, John Burton is standing in the centre with his arms folded. As Dad noted, two of his sons Ridley and Jack are on the cart. Grandma was the eldest of thirteen.

Thanks to help on this forum and reading abound the Wynd this morning and looking at the photo, I did wonder if that was where the photo was taken. However on closer examination of the two pictures, the chimneys are different, which suggests this could be the new premises in Bridge Street.

I wonder if this outing could have been to celebrate the opening of the new premises but was it before or after John Burton took over the sole ownership of the business in July 1898.

I've no knowledge of who the man standing next to John Burton is or what William James Richardson his original partner looked like. WJR died in Sept 1903.

M.

Coquet 14-11-2012 07:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think that is Bridge Street.

See the layout on the 1897 map below. I've put an arrow on the camera view. Knox's Garage was built on this site. If it is the Bridge Street mineral works then the chimneys belong to the buildings shown in the street view photo (Image copyright Google © 2012)

Coquet 14-11-2012 07:40 PM

That's a lovely photo by the way. Thanks for sharing.

Burton descendant 14-11-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coquet (Post 1252)

See the layout on the 1897 map below. I've put an arrow on the camera view. Knox's Garage was built on this site. If it is the Bridge Street mineral works then the chimneys belong to the buildings shown in the street view photo (Image copyright Google © 2012)

It really does look like Bridge Street. thank you ever so much

Burton descendant 14-11-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coquet (Post 1253)
That's a lovely photo by the way. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure

janwhin 15-11-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coquet (Post 1252)

Am I looking at the photo correctly, you've taken it from lower Queen Street and the main frontage would be round the corner in Bridge Street?

Burton descendant 15-11-2012 09:39 PM

Burton and Richardson jug

3 Attachment(s)
Very pleased to see the Burton and Richardson bottle and the John Burton one - thank you. If anyone else finds one on the beach then please let me know!

I have a Royal Doulton jug - see photos.

Were these well known locally?

M

janwhin 16-11-2012 11:43 AM

What a fantastic jug, I've never seen these before, but then the family didn't live in Amble then. Togston or Warkworth for us.

Coquet 17-11-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janwhin (Post 1258)
Am I looking at the photo correctly, you've taken it from lower Queen Street and the main frontage would be round the corner in Bridge Street?

Yes, sorry, I should have said that's the opposite side to the one shown in the Victorian photo.

Coquet 17-11-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton descendant (Post 1270)
Very pleased to see the Burton and Richardson bottle and the John Burton one - thank you. If anyone else finds one on the beach then please let me know!

M

Delightful piece of advertising ware. Probably a 'pub jug' for holding water on the bar. You might have seen one of these in all the Amble pubs at the time. The modern equivalents are still there 'Whyte and Mackay Whisky' water jugs for instance. I have a bizarre one advertising Double Diamond, 'works wonders'.

leslie 02-05-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton descendant (Post 1270)

M

Found an intact Bottle in dunes at Saltpans (Whitehouse Sands(

Coquet 03-05-2013 08:31 AM

A very lucky find these days Leslie. well done.

Burton descendant 03-05-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leslie (Post 1897)
Found an intact Bottle in dunes at Saltpans (Whitehouse Sands(

Great find ... that's on of great grandpa's bottles
Margaret

see the private message to you

leslie 12-05-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burton descendant (Post 1904)
Great find ... that's on of great grandpa's bottles
Margaret

see the private message to you

seen will photograph and e mail to you

leslie 24-05-2013 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 213

as promised also found broken one at Birling when field fence boundrt removed

Coquet 26-05-2013 10:11 AM

The broken one probably broken deliberately by kids back in the day for the glass marble inside!
My grandmother could remember breaking "Codd"* bottles as a child for the marble I recall, when showing her my latest 'find' back in the 70's when I went looking for these things.

*Hiram Codd being the inventor.
on that page: 'His earlier bottles are prized by antique bottle collectors worldwide' :)

here's an Alnwick Brewery Codd bottle with a slightly different design to the 'pinches' in the neck for trapping the marble:

http://www.coquetandcoast.co.uk/imag...ery_bottle.jpg

leslie 26-05-2013 04:33 PM

i remember breaking necks when we found them in fifties as you say prized for the muggies.
used to find the bottles often then

leslie 19-08-2013 02:51 PM

Bridge street premises of old pop factory

There is a deed of covenant on the property forbidding the sale of Ale and spirits

leslie 31-08-2013 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
bought today at alnwick bootfair

Burton descendant 06-09-2013 07:27 AM

The Wynd factory

I am putting together a time line for Burton and Richardson.

The first evidence of the partnership is an advert in the Morpeth Herald of 19 November 1892. This is for the letting of four and half acres of 'good garden ground'

The reply address is The Wynd Amble .. Is this the field to the NE of the foot of the Wynd?

Are there any photographs of the old buildings which appear to have been redeveloped?

Robin