Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 24-11-2014, 11:05 AM

Default North Northumberland War Casualty Lists

Nice work, Coquet, I see you have the first batch up on the site
Old 24-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Administrator

aye, just got to load those other pages.

Old 24-11-2014, 05:29 PM

Get a wiggle on then
Old 24-11-2014, 08:08 PM

Default North Northumberland Casualty List 1915.

You are doing a good job on the Lists Coquet. Keep up the good work.
However, I am honour bound to correct a couple of entries. In 1915 my Great Uncle James Dalby was killed at Ypres. (Please note his initial, not P.) Also there were three brothers Dalby from The Drift, James, Will and my Grandfather John Thomas. My Great Grandparents must have felt blessed that they only lost one son considering the toll thrust on other families of 7th NF throughout although the two surviving sons did not escape unscathed.
May all casualties rest in peace. They deserve our respect.
Old 25-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
You are doing a good job on the Lists Coquet. Keep up the good work.
However, I am honour bound to correct a couple of entries. In 1915 my Great Uncle James Dalby was killed at Ypres. (Please note his initial, not P.) Also there were three brothers Dalby from The Drift, James, Will and my Grandfather John Thomas. My Great Grandparents must have felt blessed that they only lost one son considering the toll thrust on other families of 7th NF throughout although the two surviving sons did not escape unscathed.
May all casualties rest in peace. They deserve our respect.
I think there'll be an unhealthy number of errors noted in the paper as we work through it. I did add a note last time to the text regarding James on that page with a link back to a thread on the forum highlighting the discrepancy. I can correct that one fully of course as you recognise the photo!
Old 28-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Had a dabble with 1916. hundreds to add to that page. Reality of it is that there's probably not even the equivalent of two month's worth of casualty reports yet on the two live pages. A l..o..n..g way to go with that one.
Old 28-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Administrator

T. Scott of the ASC Motor Transport on the 1916 page (died from crush injuries) worked at one time for Howard Pease* from Otterburn. Pease was the author of the WW1 regimental history of the Northumberland Hussars. Now there's a piece of useless information for you.

(*I was researching the 'life and times' of Howard Pease a few weeks back. Saddo that I am)
Old 29-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Administrator

ROLL OF HONOUR
(Top L-R) Pte. T. Middlemas, N.F., Lemmingon Hill Head[spelling?], Wounded; Lce-Corpl. E. Egdell, Scottish Rifles, Alnwick, Killed; Private S. Willcox, N.F., Alnwick Moor, Killed; Pte. R. Brewis N.F., Wooperton, Killed;
(Bottom L-R) Pte. Robt. Johnstone, Chevington Woodside, Wounded; Pte. L. Connelly, N.F. Chevington Drift, Killed; Pte. G. Stephenson, Rock South Farm, wounded; Lce-Cpl R. Green, N.F., Bilton Banks, wounded.

[published: Aug 12 1916]

'Chevington Woodside' Johnstone's regiment is not mentioned (might be in the text once I've read it all!) but that glengarry and square looking cap badge is that of the Tyneside Scottish.
Old 29-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Default The Lovely Miss Connor.

The Lovely Miss Connor (and unfortunate friend)

Photo Found in Trench
Owner Wanted

A convalescent at Alnwick camp sent the Gazette office a photo (taken by J. Robson, Alnwick) postcard size, full-length figure, from which we reproduce above picture. He says: — I am a convalescent in Alnwick. I found this while coming out of the trench, and thought you might find the owner.
Owner can have photo on applying to Gazette office, Alnwick.

Lady's Photo Found in Trench
Owner Found

On Friday evening last week Miss Connor, of Alnwick, called at the Gazette office and claimed a photo found in the trench at the front, by a convalescent soldier now in Alnwick camp. It was a photo of herself. She informed us that she got word about a fortnight ago that the soldier, to whom it was given, had been killed.
It was an extraordinary coincidence that the wounded soldier who found it, was later drafted to Alnwick camp where the photographer's name J. Robson, Alnwick, suggested to him that its publication might find the lady.
Old 18-01-2015, 07:22 PM

Interesting new resource on Ancestry, UK Army Register of Soldiers' Effects. I picked someone from the Amble War Memorial to see what information could be gained.
D E Archbold: 1/5th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers, Pte 242493.

Date and place of death: On or since 26 Oct 1917. Death presumed.

Account and Date: York, September 1918. Credit £4 6s 10d.

To whom authorised: Widow and sole legatee, Violet.

War Gratuity. £9
Old 18-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Interesting new resource on Ancestry, UK Army Register of Soldiers' Effects.
That's handy. Thanks to that I've just made a connection to the census returns for a Northumberland Fusilier casualty that has had me stumped for years.
Old 19-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Some interesting things appearing in the casualty lists.

James Allison of Alnwick was shot in the head in April 1915. He finally dies from that wound in 1917, after making some sort of recovery and working as a tram driver in Newcastle.

Adam Dennison of Amble, wounded in 1915 was also killed in 1917, at the height of the Passchendaele nightmare; interestingly he is reported to have served on mining operations at 'Hill 60', which will be the famous Messines Ridge mining in June 1917. You would expect to see "Royal Engineers" on his medal index card, but it just shows Northumberland Fusiliers.
Old 22-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Administrator

This is William Smith, from Leslie Row, Radcliffe.
Killed in action with the Tyneside Scottish on the 1st day of the battle of the Somme 1/7/1916. The worst day in the history of the British Army.