Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Default Marina Arms Amble

Not sure what they are up to with the Marina Arms - someone's bricked up the doorway and started building battlements on top !

Someone must have heard how bad it's going to get when the economy finally collapses.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Nice picture by the way , I knew it had closed just before christmas ,then I heard the doorway had been bricked up, probably to stop the local yobs from breaking in to steal the piping etc or setting fire to it , but hadn't noticed the other alterations .I heard someone was interested in a building on Queen Street for use as a restaurant ,but on hearing the Marina was closing ,this building was more suitable .So, it could be the next Indian Restaurant...............just what Amble needs in a recession !
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickt View Post
So, it could be the next Indian Restaurant...............just what Amble needs in a recession !

It is surprising but they must have done the maths? But we've had so many blows on the employment front I'm not sure how many locals will be regulars.

There was some (bad) news today on the Amble prawn factory - Border Lairds - now Young's

Job fears at Seaham, Whitehaven and Amble seafood sites

That looks like 80 jobs to go?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:25 PM

Yes ,I saw the news tonight . Where will it end ? Food factory last year , prawn factory and the Alcan this year .I was made redundant last year myself after 11 years with NCC and there is no prospects of decent work either .
Old 18-01-2012, 11:30 AM

Just drove past the Marina Arms this morning to see the bricked up doorway is no more ,the bricks have been removed . I wonder if a takeover is imminent.
Old 19-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Just drove past the Marina Arms this morning to see the bricked up doorway is no more ,the bricks have been removed . I wonder if a takeover is imminent.

I'm pleased something is opening! the news is getting grimmer by the week. Gazette today reporting that after Tescos' dismal Christmas trading the new supermarket on ex Campbell-Smith's land is under review and might not now go ahead.
Although quite a number were opposed to it, so good news for them I suppose.
Old 19-01-2012, 04:08 PM

I think it was a silly place for a supermarket anyway ..the Braid and I thought it was wrong to put a new road across too. But one thing , the old cheviot foods building would make a good supermarket , ideal site ..............ready made building with parking .
Old 20-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
the old cheviot foods building would make a good supermarket , ideal site ..............ready made building with parking .

Good idea, ready made.

took these before it was boarded up:

Old 20-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Absolute crying shame we have buildings like this, and an army of unemployed and no one can work out how to get a workforce in there doing something productive.
Old 20-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Great shot's Coquet . Yes a great building , Would make an ideal training centre for the unemployed ,where people of all ages could re-train to do other jobs ,ie bricklaying ,decorating ,joinery , plumbing etc .etc. We need something like this in the area as the uneployment is going to rise higher in the near future ,especially in and around Amble.