Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 15-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Interesting, because if you think about it - no vans, cars, buses etc in those days, decorating would have been very local, suppose a two mile walk to the job carrying the painting gear was possible or by horse and trap? Unless, he was living there? and walked to Amble to work....
Old 15-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Administrator

It would be nice to have a photo on here of the loft graffiti.
Old 15-10-2013, 08:00 PM

Ian - Who was in the house in 1911 census?
Knowing the house would give us a demographic clue of the occupants and if they would have paid for decorating by professionals. If not. he could well have been lodging there

Last edited by hollydog; 15-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 24-10-2013, 07:49 PM

It's a former pit house and not the sort of place where you'd expect to find a professional decorator in those days. I suspect it was just newly built in 1910 and Young's were decorating it for the first time. I don't have a suitable camera to photograph the graffiti but the house will be unoccupied in about 3 weeks time and if one of you would like to call round and take a photo you'd be welcome to do so. I should add that I own the house. Ian.
Old 25-10-2013, 06:30 AM

Thankyou for the offer, please get in touch when the house is available, one of us would certainly have a go at getting an interesting photo for the site.
John
Old 31-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Further to my post of 25/9/2013 when I said that the ANZACS were not the only forces at Gallipoli but the majority and were supported by Europeans. I have seen in the newspapers in the last few days, on the run up to the centenary, that ,in fact, they were the minority and British and others made up the majority. I think that as this was the "baptism of fire" for these nations a lot was made of them, rightly so as they gave a good account of themselves.
Old 31-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Administrator

10 British Divisions, 3 ANZAC Divisions, and 2 French Divisions.

The French produced a nice "Dardanelles" campaign medal but the last one I had is sold so don't have one to show.

The 8th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers were there, landed at Suvla in August 1915. Lucky to make it, as their ship was attacked by a German sub in the Med, but the torpedo missed.

For the record 8th NF were part of 34th Brigade, 11th (Northern) Division, IX Corps.
Old 31-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Administrator

There was also an Indian Brigade (29th) of 3 Gurkha battalions and a battalion of Sikhs; these attached to the ANZACs. Must not forget them.

I had a quick count of Infantry Battalions & Mounted/horse units and get this:

Brit: 121

Aus & NZ :47

Indian: 4

France: 12. The French were deploying some of their colonial troops in that number so Africans involved here as well.

(Two of the French Brigades were smaller than Commonwealth ones hence the discrepancy.

This does not include Engineers or Artillery!

Last edited by Coquet; 31-01-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: recount!
Old 12-03-2014, 11:49 AM

Default Phillip Hall and family

The discussion about Phillip Hall last year is of interest to me because I believe I am distantly related to him - any further information on him and his relatives would be appreciated greatly. I had no idea what happened to him after the 1901 census untiol reading this thread.

David Hall
(Coventry)
Old 25-03-2016, 10:23 PM

As another coincidence, we are working on a house in Bamburgh at the moment and his signature has been found - 1908. It seems that he wants to be known, 116 years later the same company he worked for is working in the house. One day I hope to go to Alexandria and lay a poppy at his grave from the Young family (he was working for my great grandfather)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1136.jpg (66.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by hollydog; 25-03-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 28-03-2016, 02:00 PM

Default Phillip Hall

The picture has turned out well but I'm afraid I cannot read the article next to it - was it written by his sister Jane by any chance?

Phillip's father Robert was born at Christan Bank in about 1853 according to the census returns. Robert was initially an agricultural labourer but later became a coachman and was married to Elizabeth Brown.

Robert's father was William Hall who was baptised in 1818 at Ellingham, the son of Robert Hall and An Carr.
Old 28-03-2016, 07:16 PM

It is a photo, sent to me, of the panel in the house before it was sealed out of site again. I can only just read the information on it, all of which is mentioned earlier on this thread. I have cropped and reposted it, you may perhaps just make out the writng?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1136.jpg (57.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 29-03-2016, 06:31 AM

Default Phillip Hall

Thank you Hollydog - I can just about read it now and the wording seems familiar.