Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 20-07-2016, 02:58 PM

Now the question is, when was Cross Row built at South Broomhill??
In 1921 my dad's family are living in Front Row but I then have a church register entry for March 1923 placing the family at Cross Row.
Old 20-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Now the question is, when was Cross Row built at South Broomhill??
In 1921 my dad's family are living in Front Row but I then have a church register entry for March 1923 placing the family at Cross Row.

Same place I think. Underwent a name change for some reason.
Old 20-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Administrator

The earlier 1860s map for North Broomhill:

Old 01-08-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
There definitely was something there Janwhin - a drift I believe. I expected to see it on that 1923 map. We have it marked on something we have seen, I'm sure it was in (what became) the school playing field. I'll have a hunt around the digitised maps for it tonight.
There was a drift mine entrance in the field between Druridge avenue and the school playing fields behind the ambulance station.The field belonged to Willy Jobson the farmer.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 PM

Wink Re Drift at South Broomhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Nice maps, pleased you put them on, National Library notwithstanding.

On the S Broomhill Map there is something in the school grounds, looks a bit like a spoil heap? Could that be one of the Broomhill drift entrances do you think?
Sorry, I'm getting a bit obsessed by spoil heaps these days, a bit like someone's coal fetish
The drift entrance at South Broomhill was on the south side of where the Ambulance station now stands. You will note there is ground there not built on and I would surmise that that was a safety measure.
In 1955 I had the 'pleasure' of entering most drifts belonging to Broomhill Colliery, but not that particular one. There would be a spoil heap thereabouts but before my time.
Old 14-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
The drift entrance at South Broomhill was on the south side of where the Ambulance station now stands. You will note there is ground there not built on and I would surmise that that was a safety measure.
In 1955 I had the 'pleasure' of entering most drifts belonging to Broomhill Colliery, but not that particular one. There would be a spoil heap thereabouts but before my time.

It's odd how this one has avoided inclusion with the ordnance survey. Must have been and gone between editions?
Old 14-08-2016, 06:42 PM
Administrator

I did put the larger scale Chevington Drift map on the other site as a series of photo tiles joined together. Not much good but better than nothing until the Library of Scotland get their zoomable versions up.

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/maps_plans...rift-1923.html
Old 23-08-2016, 01:42 PM

Default Re North Broomhillmap of 1860 from 'Coquet'.

[QUOTE=Coquet;6500]The earlier 1860s map for North Broomhill:

I just had a smile when I re-visited Coquets post. I noted that the 'Thunder Boxes' for Six Cottages seem to have been sited at the south end of the gardens. in 1860.
I was born and raised in No 4, 1940 to 1954, and our 'facilities' were built to the north. However, what raised my smile? At the bottom of our garden was a huge rhubarb plant, and I mean huge. Did it have a head start on the rest of the garden?
I can only assume that the 'facilities' were moved when Stone Row was extended northward, the road taken out and another inserted along the bottom of Six Cottages gardens. Perhaps a later map could give an answer, and date the extension of Stone Row.