Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 16-09-2010, 05:10 AM

Default coquet high school hadstone

any members go to coquet high school when was at hadstone 1980
Old 16-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Yes, yes, I did. I think we were the last ones before Amble school was built
Old 31-12-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amble View Post
any members go to coquet high school when was at hadstone 1980
Was its former name South Broomhill secondary modern
? if so i attended there left in 1968.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:29 PM

This was the school I went to, leaving in 1980, we were bussed in from Amble. Anyone remember when we raised loads of money to buy coffee machines etc but we never got to use them because they were installed in the new building at Amble?

Teachers I remember.

Mr Fisk - Head Teacher
Mrs Foggin -science
Mr Hazon -Physics
Mr Heaton -Chemistry
Mr Penter- Biology
Mr Bewick- Drama
Dapper Dan - History
Mr Caine - Geography
Mr Singh- Maths
Mrs Rochester -English
Mr Macquillin - Maths
Mr Wheeler- not sure what he did.
Mr Manion- Guidance
Miss Whitlock - French
Phylis the dinner ticket lady
Some others I can picture but names long forgotten.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Administrator

A few familar names in there from my days at Amble Modern

Mrs Foggin Physics
Mr and Mrs Turnbull History and...English?
Mr Cowan, English
Mr Richardson, English
Mrs Watson, (my favourite teacher) Biology
Mr Almond, Science
Arty Dawson (have a guess)
Mr Riddell PE
Ms Peacock
Mr and Mrs Macquillin (saved me from being a walking maths disaster)
Mr Locky, maths + Deputy Head
Tommy Harper, Metalwork
George Younger?, Geography
Mr Shawcross, Seamanship
Mrs Widdrington, French
Mrs Bell, not sure, might have been Domestic Science?

my mind's gone blank now
Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 PM

I can remember most of those , especially Mr Richardson's slipper. Some of those teachers transferred to Hadston with us when we were shipped over there.
Can you remember Miss Stanton the music teacher? Mr Ord the woodwork guy?
Mr Almond, I recall, had a yellow mini, he did the Duke of Edinburgh Award camping trips up near Wooler, and bird watcing at Howick, both of which I did too.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Yes that's two more, Mr Ord and Miss Stanton, woodwork and music.

I did a few backpacking trips with Mr Almond in the Cheviots.
Wooler to Broadstruther; an abandoned cottage in the hills. Then cross to the Cheviot and walk out via Langleeford and the Harthope valley. Ms Peacock came along once too.
There's a few crashed WW2 Planes around that area.

Mr Almond does local history talks now.

Last edited by Coquet; 07-04-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-04-2013, 05:31 AM

i was there too
Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
This was the school I went to, leaving in 1980, we were bussed in from Amble. Anyone remember when we raised loads of money to buy coffee machines etc but we never got to use them because they were installed in the new building at Amble?

Teachers I remember.

Mr Fisk - Head Teacher
Mrs Foggin -science
Mr Hazon -Physics
Mr Heaton -Chemistry
Mr Penter- Biology
Mr Bewick- Drama
Dapper Dan - History
Mr Caine - Geography
Mr Singh- Maths
Mrs Rochester -English
Mr Macquillin - Maths
Mr Wheeler- not sure what he did.
Mr Manion- Guidance
Miss Whitlock - French
Phylis the dinner ticket lady
Some others I can picture but names long forgotten.
Dapper Dan must be getting on a bit ,he was at South Broomhill when i left in 68
Old 08-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Last night in a fit of nostalgia, I was going through all the names of people in the E2 year of 1980, the last to be at Hadston when it was Coquet High School. It's quite a list - 50 to 60 names, if anyone is interesred I 'll write them all down and post it.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Yes that's two more, Mr Ord and Miss Stanton, woodwork and music.

I did a few backpacking trips with Mr Almond in the Cheviots.
Wooler to Broadstruther; an abandoned cottage in the hills. Then cross to the Cheviot and walk out via Langleeford and the Harthope valley. Ms Peacock came along once too.
There's a few crashed WW2 Planes around that area.

Mr Almond does local history talks now.
I think I was on the trip when Ms Peacock and Mr Fetis came along too. Remember the dead sheep on the treasure hunt?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Administrator

They must have been going up there with groups of pupils for years? I think I'm a few years in front of you Rachel.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM

I left in 81 and can add to your list
Mr Anderson PE
Mr Coney woodwork

I'd like to see your list of names Rachel
Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjohn63 View Post
I left in 81 and can add to your list
Mr Anderson PE
Mr Coney woodwork

I'd like to see your list of names Rachel
It turns out that if I were a contestant on Ken Bruce’s popmaster… he would have said, one year out! I left school in 1981 too ( just checked my O level certificates), the last year started in 1980, so maybe you’ll be on my list. Before I start, this is just from memory, is in no particular order, and some of the names may have alternative spellings and if you’re not on the list it doesn’t mean I can’t remember you, there’s several faces in my head that I can’t put names to yet but they’ll come to me…

I’ll do boys first because usually it’s the other way around and there were lots more of them.

Douglass Handiside: David Gray: Andrew Turvey: Mark Keen: Drew Keen: David Gair: Glenn Melvin: Geofrey Roland: David Smails: Ian Burns: David Gerrard: David Scott: Derek Scot: Michael Charlton: Ian Dalby: Malcolm Heggety: Paul Rickard: Gary Finnigan (a whiz on the trampoline) : Stefan Henshall : Ernest Wigget: Carle Robinson: Paul Bennet: Paul Bisile: Paul Armstrong: Paul Coxford: Paul Manion: Paul Robertson: Graham Atkinson: Leslie Anderson: Anthony Wingfield: Neil Straker: Brian Wallace: Gary Park: Darrel Headley: Simon Mathews: William Jobson ( maybe Johnson): Bret Hamilton: John Moscrop: Paul Spears: Kevin Shanks: Ian Durham: Colin Douglass: Colin Mitchell: Tony Taylor: John Leck? : Hilton Dawson? John Marshal: Robert Gordon: Vincent Robson: Henry Wright: Christopher Strangeways: Michael Marr: Paul Goldstien: Ian Clowe: David Rutter. David Winters : Glyn Agnue.

Sandra Barclay: Patricia Noble: Linda Smith: Melanie Holman: Nicola Scott: Shirley Martin: Julie Shepard: Diane Johnson: Diane Latto: Donna Cox: Debra Barclay: Julie Wingfield: Julie Lewis : Jane Wilson: Hazel Stewart: Tracey Durey: Tracey Dryden: Tracey Stewart: Maureen Gibb: Sylvia Rutherford: Heather Rutherford: Marion Runciman: Amanda Straker: Anne Fairbairn: Judith Gardener: Lynn Hume: Lynn Handiside: Joyce Barns : Jane Smith: Pepi Jackson: Judith Smails? Lynn Brieley: Karen Douglass: Jane Bamebridge: Julie Watson: Mandy Hewitson: Lynn Edmonson : Jacqueline Russell: Helen? Worth: Me.

All should be or will be 48 before September this year.

90 ish in total… not bad after 31 years! If I can think of any more I’ll add them.

Last edited by Rachel; 09-04-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Names added.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
It turns out that if I were a contestant on Ken Bruce’s popmaster… he would have said, one year out! I left school in 1981 too ( just checked my O level certificates), the last year started in 1980, so maybe you’ll be on my list. Before I start, this is just from memory, is in no particular order, and some of the names may have alternative spellings and if you’re not on the list it doesn’t mean I can’t remember you, there’s several faces in my head that I can’t put names to yet but they’ll come to me…

I’ll do boys first because usually it’s the other way around and there were lots more of them.

Douglass Handiside: David Gray: Andrew Turvey: Mark Keen: Drew Keen: David Gair: Glenn Melvin: Geofrey Rowland: David Smails: Ian Burns: David Gerrard: David Scott: Derek Scot: Michael Charlton: Ian Dalby: Malcolm Heggety: Paul Rickard: Gary Finnigan (a whiz on the trampoline) : Stefan Henshall : Ernest Wigget: Carle Robinson: Paul Bennet: Paul Bisile: Paul Armstrong: Paul Coxford: Paul Manion: Paul Robertson: Graham Atkinson: Leslie Anderson: Anthony Wingfield: Neil Straker: Brian Wallace: Gary Park: Darrel Headley: Simon Mathews: William Jobson ( maybe Johnson): Bret Hamilton: John Moscrop: Paul Spears: Kevin Shanks: Ian Durham: Colin Douglass: Colin Mitchell: Tony Taylor: John Leck? : Hilton Dawson? John Marshal: Robert Gordon: Vincent Robson: Henry Wright: Christopher Strangeways: Michael Marr: Paul Goldstien: Ian Clowe: David Rutter.

Sandra Barclay: Patricia Noble: Linda Smith: Melanie Holman: Nicola Scott: Shirley Martin: Julie Shepard: Diane Johnson: Diane Latto: Donna Cox: Debra Barclay: Julie Wingfield: Julie Lewis : Jane Wilson: Hazel Stewart: Tracey Durey: Tracey Dryden: Tracey Stewart: Maureen Gibb: Sylvia Rutherford: Heather Rutherford: Marion Runciman: Amanda Straker: Anne Fairbairn: Judith Gardener: Lynn Hume: Lynn Handiside: Joyce Barns : Jane Smith: Pepi Jackson: Judith Smails? Lynn Brieley: Karen Douglass: Jane Bamebridge: Julie Watson: Mandy Hewitson: Lynn Edmonson : Jacqueline Russell: Helen? Worth: Me.

All should be or will be 48 before September this year.

90 ish in total… not bad after 31 years! If I can think of any more I’ll add them.
Bet you can't name the ones you were at junior school with who went to the Dukes and Duchess in 1976 from that year group!! - the last year to do the 11 plus in Amble (George Young's year 4 class at Edwin st, Charlie Turnbull took us the year before and Mrs Dalby yr 2 Dovecote st and Mrs Gair before that) We even had a year at Cross st (ms Hopper?), talk about being mucked around!!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:55 PM

There's a challenge. I can remember the year at Cross Street (outside toilets) freezing! Some of them must be on those Dovecote St photos on the other thread, my guess is, it's the half a dozen on those that I can't name that went to the Duke and Dutchess Schools. Carol or was it Susan Browne? Can't remember her first name, surname White?

Last edited by Rachel; 09-04-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
There's a challenge. I can remember the year at Cross Street (outside toilets) freezing! Some of them must be on those Dovecote St photos on the other thread, my guess is, it's the half a dozen on those that I can't name that went to the Duke and Dutchess Schools. Carol Browne? Can't remember her first name, surname White?
Lets see if I can remember - John Young (me), Malcolm Young, Ian Dalby and Willie Scott were the boys, then, Alane Ladyman, Susan Gair, Susan Brown, Susan White, Helen Young.
Northern Light should help me out if there are anymore girls or I'll ask Helen on fb!
We continued to get messed about with county's wonderful new comprehensive system, Dovecote st to Cross st back to Dovecote st then Edwin st - three years at the Duke's then sent down to the Duchess school for 4 more!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:08 PM

I can remember Malcolm Young: had tea at his house a few times: he received an eye injury when someone threw a stone at him.
It's odd that I have Ian Dalby in my list too, maybe I'm mixing up my schools or just that some people stick in the mind more than others.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Lets see if I can remember - John Young (me), Malcolm Young, Ian Dalby and Willie Scott were the boys, then, Alane Ladyman, Susan Gair, Susan Brown, Susan White, Helen Young.
Northern Light should help me out if there are anymore girls or I'll ask Helen on fb!
We continued to get messed about with county's wonderful new comprehensive system, Dovecote st to Cross st back to Dovecote st then Edwin st - three years at the Duke's then sent down to the Duchess school for 4 more!
Hollydog: You forgot your neighbour Jonquil Hinson and Maureen Sullivan

Last edited by Northern Light; 09-04-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Bet you can't name the ones you were at junior school with who went to the Dukes and Duchess in 1976 from that year group!! - the last year to do the 11 plus in Amble (George Young's year 4 class at Edwin st, Charlie Turnbull took us the year before and Mrs Dalby yr 2 Dovecote st and Mrs Gair before that) We even had a year at Cross st (ms Hopper?), talk about being mucked around!!
Can't let you youngsters have it all your own way I must be about 15 years ahead of you, Mrs Dalby and Mrs Gair were at Dovecote Street. Mrs Dalby was the daughter of our next door neighbour in Lindisfarne Rad, Mrs Bowey. Teachers at Edwin Street were Miss Fettis and Miss Purves, both very scary, Mr Pyle and Mr Donald. I think Miss Purves had taught in Amble forever. Mr Bowman was the headmaster and his son Anthony was in our class. Other pupils, Valerie White, Susan Londsdale, Susan Appleby, Vivian O'Keefe, Jennifer Guy, Jennifer Cuthbertson, Margaret Henderson, Patricia (Ann) Hall, Caroline Patterson, Linda Craiggs, John Highgate, David Purvis, David Blades, John Alcock, and now my mind's gone a blank....not infrequent occurrence at my great age

Last edited by janwhin; 10-04-2013 at 11:03 AM.