Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Default Amble Womens Institute

This wood framed, hand ink written list of Presidents has been hidden at the back of our workshop since who knows when. It is currently gathering dust, therefore, if anyone can give it a loving home they are quite welcome to it.
It possibly came to us to be reglazed but was never collected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9050159.jpg (53.9 KB, 89 views)
Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 PM

Come on 56 have so far looked at this, surely someone wants to give it a good home? Please not on e-b*y though!
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Nice piece of social history. Ideal place would be hanging on the wall in the council offices.

I would take it but I'm supposed to be de-cluttering. I'd get a thick ear if I turn up with any more stuff.

I think if you gave it to the Amble lifeboat day organisers they would have sold it on their stalls on the day (hopefully to an Amble home) - but that has passed for this year.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 PM
Administrator

The 1947-51 President was Mrs Aisbitt.

wonder if she was the wife of F/Lt Aisbit[t] in charge of the Amble Air Training Corps Cadets at Acklington Aerodrome summer camp in 1943?

Log Book 26th August 1943:
At 1300 hours Brig. Gen Riddell (Inspector N. Region A.T.C.) arrived with Major Hornby to inspect the A.T.C. Summer camp. A detachment of Amble Squadron was in camp under command of F/Lt. Aisbit. Brig. General Riddell expressed himself well pleased with all arrangements for camp and instruction and discussed the difficulties experienced in getting air experience for the Cadets. He intimated that and effort is being made to obtain more communication aircraft for this purpose.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Administrator

1920's Sarah Richardson was the wife of Edward Duncan Richardson, Painter and Decorator, lived 7 Gibson Street.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Was the Women's Institute that ? green building up Percy Street? I remember having a party there in about 1965.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM

Correct janwhin, it was used for all sorts of activities, wedding receptions, birthday parties etc. as well as the Women themselves having regular whist drives and other functions.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 AM

I spent allot of time in that green hut with my Grandmother. My brother had his 21st Birthday party there too.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:41 PM

Do you still have this ? The Women's Institute has just been re-formed and I'm sure the group would be interested. Thanks
Old 23-03-2016, 12:39 PM

Mrs S Aisbitt was my grandmother, Sarah Aisbitt, and her son Bruce Aisbitt, my father, was in charge of the ATC cadets during the war. She was the widow of Tom Aisbitt a butcher on Queen Street and Bruce was a teacher in Amble and then Alnwick and they both lived from 1948/9 at 27 Bede Street where I was brought up and where my mother, Helen Aisbitt, lived until 2001.

Last edited by JaneA; 23-03-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 24-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneA View Post
Mrs S Aisbitt was my grandmother, Sarah Aisbitt, and her son Bruce Aisbitt, my father, was in charge of the ATC cadets during the war. She was the widow of Tom Aisbitt a butcher on Queen Street and Bruce was a teacher in Amble and then Alnwick and they both lived from 1948/9 at 27 Bede Street where I was brought up and where my mother, Helen Aisbitt, lived until 2001.
I think the ATC were regular visitors to RAF Acklington during the war. Another entry in the record book July 1943 mentions your father. (related to the mention above?) Must have been very interesting for the cadets to see a station at war:

July 6 1943 "At 1800 hours a conference of Section Commanders was held in the S. Ad. O's office to discuss matters relating to the forthcoming ATC Cadet Camp at the Station. The Station Admin Officer presided and F/Lt Aisbitt (ATC Liaison Officer) attended. The chief purpose was to work out an effective programme of instruction by means of the help given by various technical branches."
Old 28-03-2016, 05:27 PM

Default Thanks

Interesting. Thank you.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:27 PM

Default WI picture

Hi there, I am the President of the newly formed Amble WI and we would love to give this a home. If you could message me. I could call around
Many thanks,
Karen Waugh
Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 PM

Hi Karen, I originally posted this over three years ago,it was in very poor condition in the garage, but seems to have disappeared, I'll try and track down what happened to it.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:14 PM

thank you xxxx