Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 12-04-2016, 05:40 PM

Default Old landfills around amble and warkworth

Hi.does anyone recall locations of any old landfill sites around theese areas that would have been used possibly very early on for ash bottles jars etc.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:09 PM
Administrator

There are a number of victorian/edwardian tips but now all sealed and on national trust or council land. Today they are landscaped and public recreational areas. No-go areas for diggers basically and you would not get permission. I remember there were some major ructions regarding bottle diggers at the Warkworth and Alnmouth tips at one time, to the point that they were being regularly patrolled by the police. Like most places today your only options are private land with permission, old farm dumps and the like.

Alnwick went through some sort of bottle digging mania in the 80s. Anyone involved / remember that? Were the dumps in the old stone quarries on the Rothbury road somewhere? The emerald green 'Smart Alnwick' codd bottles were a major incentive. They now change hands for £120 on ebay. I had a few of those. All sold off in my bottle digging youth (70s).
Old 13-04-2016, 05:08 PM

Yeah i know about the ones at amble and warkworth as i work for county council but just wonderd if there were any down towards hadston mayb.i was born in the wrong era hahahahaha
Old 13-04-2016, 05:09 PM

Where was that alnmouth one located at ive never came across anything on my travels there