Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Shilbottle and Newton on the Moor

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 29-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Default St James Church Shilbottle War Memorial

added a page on St James interior and the Shilbottle war memorial

need help to ID WW2 casualties "R.W. Anderson", "A. Armstrong", "S. Thompson", "G. Porteous", "J.H. Madden"

and WW1 casualty George Slater.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Administrator

5 years later. Passed the new Shillbottle war memorial the other day; and actually remembered to take the camera. So here it is. It has a very nice memorial garden attached with a small memorial to the miners killed at Shilbottle and Whittle Collieries. Entry to the garden is via a iron arch decorated with the shapes of mining paraphernalia.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Old 02-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Administrator

On the subject of missing war memorials, i.e. towns that never erected a memorial in the first place, I'm under the impression Pegswood is such a place. Seems strange not to have one?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:23 PM

What a lovely spot, thanks for the photos Coquet. Is the arch the work of the Red Row blacksmith, do you know?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Not sure who did the steelwork. Not many fabricators around here now so Red Row a distinct possibility.

I picked up a 'Buglass' WW1 medal (survived the war) recently - allegedly from 'Alnwick' now wondering if he was from Shillbottle and related to the Buglass recorded here. Once I remember where I have put it I'll have another look into it.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:12 PM

Default George Slater

I was at the National Archives (LDS London Family History Centre) yesterday browsing the Shilbottle parish register as you do when I came across an entry for George Slater, a WW1 death on Shilbottle war memorial.

Now I've transcribed the date of death as 1915 but I notice CWG has 1916 and apparently they are saying because they can't identify a grave at Shilbottle they will be placing a headstone there. Anyway:

October 7 1915 (1916?): George Slater, Shilbottle driver (A56, burial plot?), aged 25. Died in Graylingwell War Hospital, Chichester after active service in France. (Army Service Corps, died 3 October)
Old 11-02-2017, 07:22 PM

Just checked the civil registration deaths....he is a 1916 death. On the 1911 census he is living with his parents at Shilbottle and is a carter for a road contractor.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Administrator

I can also add some information relayed from 'Fraser' (on here) who is related to George Slater:

George Slater, T4/091503, Driver, Army Service Corps

He died in Graylingwell War Hospital in Chicester on 3 October 1916.

His death certificate shows that he died of Osteomyelitis (10 months) complicated by Sepsis and Heart Failure.

He doesn’t appear on the CWGC website. I believe that as he died of illness not wounds he did not qualify for an Official War Grave even though he almost certainly contracted his illness as a result of being in the trenches.

As part of the In From the Cold Project, on 19 November 2015 his name was added to the WW1 Commonwealth War Dead Roll and he is now commemorated in the UK Book of Remembrance.

He is buried in Shilbottle Cemetery.

George Slater was born on 25 April 1890 in Shilbottle and in 1911 was living with his parents William and Margaret Slater in Shilbottle Village. His occupation is shown a Carter which ties in nicely with his Army role.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Administrator

George Slater will be getting a CWGC grave stone at long last.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I picked up a 'Buglass' WW1 medal (survived the war) recently - allegedly from 'Alnwick' now wondering if he was from Shillbottle and related to the Buglass recorded here. Once I remember where I have put it I'll have another look into it.
What was the name of this Buglass?
Old 12-02-2017, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMalx View Post
What was the name of this Buglass?
David, think now he lived in Alnwick, joined the Tank Corps after the war.

mentioned at the end of this thread
Old 12-02-2017, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I was at the National Archives (LDS London Family History Centre) yesterday browsing the Shilbottle parish register as you do when I came across an entry for George Slater, a WW1 death on Shilbottle war memorial.

Now I've transcribed the date of death as 1915 but I notice CWG has 1916 and apparently they are saying because they can't identify a grave at Shilbottle they will be placing a headstone there. Anyway:

October 7 1915 (1916?): George Slater, Shilbottle driver (A56, burial plot?), aged 25. Died in Graylingwell War Hospital, Chichester after active service in France. (Army Service Corps, died 3 October)

Why do the Mormons have the Shilbottle parish register Janwhin? thought that would be in Woodhorn? or is it a copy?
Old 12-02-2017, 12:18 PM

If you look at all the microfilms of the parish registers at Woodhorn they were all filmed by the Mormons. It's the same across most county archives.
I think the deal was that LDS Church would film all original registers in return for getting a copy for themselves and storing them in the Utah salt mines! The London LDS centre is the main one in this country, I think the nearest in the north east is at Sunderland. London has a lot of microfilms on their premises which you can check out on their online catalogue, otherwise they can order them up from Utah.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If you look at all the microfilms of the parish registers at Woodhorn they were all filmed by the Mormons. It's the same across most county archives.
I think the deal was that LDS Church would film all original registers in return for getting a copy for themselves and storing them in the Utah salt mines! The London LDS centre is the main one in this country, I think the nearest in the north east is at Sunderland. London has a lot of microfilms on their premises which you can check out on their online catalogue, otherwise they can order them up from Utah.

I thought they might have amassed collection of original registers for a moment, only viewable in their archives or something.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
David, think now he lived in Alnwick, joined the Tank Corps after the war.

mentioned at the end of this thread
I've not managed to find any connection between this David and the Shilbottle Buglasses unfortunately.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:

As a living relative of George Slater I was contacted by the CWGC in November last year. Apparently their Regional Supervisor has visited Shilbottle Churchyard but as there are no plans of the Churchyard he could not locate the actual grave. A headstone bearing the inscription ‘Buried elsewhere in this Churchyard’ will be erected in a suitable location by the middle of this year, not the same as marking his actual resting place but going some way towards righting the mistake of 1916.
Old 13-02-2017, 05:36 AM

Location: After a lifetime of globetrotting finally settled in Thailand in 2000

R.J.Hughes Aden 1966.Which branch of the service was he?
Old 13-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownknees View Post
R.J.Hughes Aden 1966.Which branch of the service was he?
Army, Royal Horse Artillery.
His details are at the bottom of this page
Old 13-02-2017, 09:12 AM

I notice that Find My Past has these records, but the dead from this conflict are not dealt with by CWG.