Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Acklington and Guyzance

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 PM

Default Brainshaugh chapel

The little that remains of the chapel. A lot of stone has been taken down of late.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brainshaugh.jpg (34.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 13-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Administrator

It's an scheduled ancient monument, protected, grade II listed, I can only think English heritage/ national trust are up to something? making it safe maybe?? (otherwise someone's in bother )
Old 14-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Administrator

here's Hodgson's plan of it:

Old 14-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Don't have any decent photos, cannot access this monument anymore

from the public highway, last autumn:

Old 25-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
It's an scheduled ancient monument, protected, grade II listed, I can only think English heritage/ national trust are up to something? making it safe maybe?? (otherwise someone's in bother )

nothing to do with EH, or NT, is a private burial ground part of Guyzance Hall
The Milburns use it as a family burial ground, How being owned by Rev Parker affects this ?????? but assume some codicil in agreement , for the upkeep, aSir Anthony I understand still has access
Old 26-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Correct. I dug a little deeper at the time (no pun intended) and the chapel was retained by the Milburns when the estate was sold off. The surrounding land being in the Guyzance Estate.
Old 13-04-2018, 09:27 AM

Sorry for the half a decade thread revival, but on Monday I wandered with my camera from Guyzance Mill (now with locked gate and no entry signs) to what I assume is the old wool mill by the bridge.

I inadvertently accessed the site of the chapel on the way - I say inadvertently as I didn't realise it was private land. There is a footpath from the road down to and along the river under the bridge, where there are a couple of stiles, one of which leads into the field (behind the tree in the photo below), so I rather naively just assumed it was a public footpath along the river or something, though there were no signs of anyone having used it recently - no footprints in the sand under the bridge or anything.

Only later when I emerged back onto the road did I see the "private, no entry" sign on the gate and immediately felt rather guilty, but of course it was too late by then.

I assumed it was a derelict barn or something until I got closer. I wasn't expecting it to be the remains of a chapel dating back to the 11th century.