Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 10-09-2014, 11:17 AM

Default The Pringles of Warkworth

A couple of days ago I met, for the first time, a third cousin, 90 years of age, descended from the Pringles of Warkworth. She mentioned that there was a headstone in Warkworth burial ground on Beach Road and fortunately Coquet has a photograph in his stash. It is being eroded but using Robert Howitt's Journal and the newspapers the names reveal some interesting titbits.

The patriarch is Henry Pringle who died on 13 January 1887, aged 80 years. According to Howitt: "Henry Pringle, 79. For 42 years sexton of the Parish Church. Will long be remembered for his humour."

The Newcastle Courant of 21 January carried the following: "Death of Mr Henry Pringle, Parish Sexton of Warkworth. - Following closely the death of Mr. Thompson, clerk, the death of the venerable sexton, Mr. Pringle, at the ripe age of 80 years, removes another link that binds the past with the present. Having held office in the parish church for 42 years, the deceased was better and more widely known than any other inhabitant in the parish. The interment of the remains of this venerable church official took place on Sunday afternoon in Warkworth New Burial Ground."

Also on the headstone is William Pringle who died March 12 1867, aged 28 years. Howitt has 2 entries: "March 14, Intelligence arrived here today of the death of Wm. Pringle working in Stephenson's factory, the handle of a "chair" struck him, so that having been taken to the infirmary he only lived for a short time, age 29."
"March 17, Wm. Pringle having been brought down from Newcastle yesterday morning, he was interred today in the NEW BURIAL GROUND. (Undertakers 5)"

The accident was reported in several newspapers, but the Morpeth Herald of 16 March states: "A man named Wm. Pringle died in Newcastle Infirmary on Tuesday, from the effects of injuries sustained by falling from a crane in Messrs Stephenson & Co's manufactory on Monday last. The deceased was 29 years of age and belonged to Warkworth."

More than just names
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headstone of Pringles.jpg (91.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Interesting. That would be Stephenson's locomotive works? "The Rocket" etc?
Old 10-09-2014, 04:36 PM

I would imagine so, Robert Stephenson & Co were in Forth Street, Newcastle, moving to Darlington in the 1890s. It finally merged with Hawthorn Leslie.
Old 29-10-2014, 12:28 PM

Default Pringle

I knew a guy called Vernon Pringle who came
from Warkworth @ 1955-60
Would he be a relation to those mentioned
GEOFF GLASS
Old 05-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Default Pringles of Warkworth

I remember Vernon and his parents,George and Molly. They lived in Dial Place and I'm sure that house had been in the family for a generation or two.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:04 PM

Default Henry Pringle

Henry Pringle was my great, great grandfather and I have visited the plaque in Warkworth Church dedicated to him and Jane, his wife. His son, George, took his place as sexton. His grand-daughter, my grandma, Margaret Bennett, (born Pringle) lived until she was almost 101 and had happy memories of the house in Dial Place where she went for holidays. I have photographs of Henry and Jane, he in his robes outside the church. A strong sense of humour also runs through our family and we all laugh at the same things - so fascinating to read that Henry was for the same.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:31 PM

My grandmother's cousin, Elizabeth Common, married George Pringle, the sexton in 1882.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:34 PM

Default Pringle family

George Pringle and Lizzie Common were my great grandparents; Henry and Jane my 2x great grandparents. I have a photo of George with the Warkworth cricket team from the 1890s. Also Warkworth Cricket Club photos of my grandfather William Thompson Pringle and my father Lawrence Henry Pringle. I am in contact with several family members in the Warkworth area and we have occasional lunches/family history chats.