Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 26-11-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
No pit at Red Row Borderlad, but there was a man drift entry just at the east end of The Willows. My memory is lacking any detail really but I did go down that one a couple of times. It was a second route into the Southside area of Broomhill Colliery. It linked with the areas men worked in who entered at The Drift. Some on this site have maps of various seams and workings and may be able to put some meat on my bones of a description. It wasn't worked in my time but may have been pre-war, and coals mined sent to the shaft bottom.
There was also a drift in the field between south broomhill sec. school and druridge avenue.
Old 26-11-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlad View Post
Least I think they were called the Willows, a row of houses on the right down the Drift road. May be one left standing. These seemed very old houses. Edna and Dan McKenzie lived in one before moving to Bondicar Rd. Hadston. I have put a photo of his brothers on the Broomhill Colliery thread. I think Dan was in the army WW2 at Dunkirk. Was there a pit at Red Row
3 familys i attended red row school with lived in the willows,the greys, moors, and commons.
Old 26-11-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rintymo View Post
Used to go to Friday night dance in Primrose Hall when stationed at RAF Acklington (1963 to 1965) Happy times!
my father was at Acklington RAF and civvie from 39 to 69, Officers mess ,and sgts mess manager. I have some pics of people serving there in 60s and of HRH Queen Mums visit somewhere
Old 26-11-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Re: The Willows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonx View Post
3 familys i attended red row school with lived in the willows,the greys, moors, and commons.
.........and the District Nurse, prior to a new house being provided at Hadston.
Old 27-11-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Another tin building but long gone. Where did this need to build in tin come from
Before the days of television my parents sometimes took me to this picture house. I have two main memories of it:
One is that it showed so many Westerns that everyone called it "The Ranch".
The second is that, if we got there early we could sit in a particular row, because two or three seats in the row in front were missing so I had a good view of the screen even though I was a young child.
Old 28-11-2013, 07:56 AM

The Cinema and dance hall were owned by Ralphie ?? he lived in green-tiles I think. The manager of both was a Mr Mavin, a friend of my dad . I used to get free into both when I went , I think the last ones in sixties toi run dances was Stuart Manders his family had Manders Amusements in Amble that would be mid sixties, The Coop was next to Dance hall ???
Old 29-11-2013, 07:45 PM

Default Pettica Brothers Garage

Across the road from the Grey Arms. John Pettica was real a nice guy, he broke it to me so gently when my old van failed its MOT being only fit for the scrap heap. Think their family came from Italy
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
What about the earlier history of the corner shop - you mention this was a greengrocers 1950s- any idea what it is in the contex of borderlad's 1920 photo? I can see text on the signage but cannot make anything out.
Having tapped the bro in law's cerebral gold mine, he says Hetheringtons were in there in the 1940s, and that's as far back as he can remember
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
The Cinema and dance hall were owned by Ralphie ?? he lived in green-tiles I think.
The owner of the picture hall and dance hall was Ralphie Watson apparently.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
There was also a drift in the field between south broomhill sec. school and druridge avenue.
As well as this one and the Willows there was another drift entry for Broomhill behind the Buffs.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
This was a garage, my father bought two cars from here in the 50s, can`t remember the owners name, should make them listed buildings
The owner of the garage was Jackie Liddle. before it was a garage it was a betting shop...Chisholms?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
5 houses made up the Willows. There were the three families above and the district nurse and the Gowards. And that's exhausted the my poor bro in law's brain for today
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
The owner of the garage was Jackie Liddle. before it was a garage it was a betting shop...Chisholms?
Betting shops only became legal in 1961 so this must have been a covert operation but my mother did mention someone before that being a "bookies runner".
Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Talking Re: Bookies

That garage was a going concern, certainly until I left Red Row School in 1955. My Grandfather was badly injured in a mining accident and had a three-wheeled invalid chair. He had it serviced at that garage and asked me to get it back to his house after school. I thought that the easiest way to get it to Hadston would be to sit in it and propel myself along. WRONG. I was all over the road, pavement, a few grass verges, didn't know how to brake etcetera. It must have taken years off my life, given quite a few who saw me a good laugh, and took me about an hour to get the blessed thing to Granda's bungalow. I think he gave me a tanner for doing that for him! But experience it gave me - never volunteer!! Little wonder that I went bald earlier than most.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
5 houses made up the Willows. There were the three families above and the district nurse and the Gowards. And that's exhausted the my poor bro in law's brain for today
What about the McKenzies. I am sure I did not imagine going to my aunts house for a bite to eat rather than face those horrible school dinners at Red Row infants, raw sliced potatoes on the hot pot and watery custard. Oh and the comics she used to buy us, great.
You will have to tax his brain again when he`s up to it.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Yes Jackie Liddle and before him we think it was Teasdales Garage
Old 10-12-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
The Cinema and dance hall were owned by Ralphie ?? he lived in green-tiles I think. The manager of both was a Mr Mavin, a friend of my dad . I used to get free into both when I went , I think the last ones in sixties toi run dances was Stuart Manders his family had Manders Amusements in Amble that would be mid sixties, The Coop was next to Dance hall ???
Yes Billy Mavin ran the picture hall he lived across the road from the house in the photo near the Hebron Hall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eastmount Red Row crop1.jpg (75.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 10-12-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
What about the McKenzies. I am sure I did not imagine going to my aunts house for a bite to eat rather than face those horrible school dinners at Red Row infants, raw sliced potatoes on the hot pot and watery custard. Oh and the comics she used to buy us, great.
You will have to tax his brain again when he`s up to it.
Yes he does remember the McKenzies. Strangely we were talking about them a couple of months ago, in the context of Betty MacKenzie?
Old 13-12-2013, 08:47 PM

the garage at red row was owned by jackie liddle who moved into the buffs club his late wife used to make china things
Old 17-12-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Yes he does remember the McKenzies. Strangely we were talking about them a couple of months ago, in the context of Betty MacKenzie?
Betty is my cousin from down south and France at one time I believe