Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 27-03-2014, 08:12 PM

Default Alnwick workhouses and cholera outbreaks.

Does anyone know where the workhouses in Alnwick were and if any records of its former occupants still exist?

Also, can anyone tell me when an out break of cholera broke out in Alnwick?
Old 27-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Newcastle Journal Saturday 24 November 1849:

The Alnwick Cricket Club have subscribed £5 for the relief of sufferers from cholera at Alnwick, in addition to the private subscriptions of members.

There is a weird and wonderful assortment of reports in the newspapers regarding events at Alnwick Workhouse over the years. Is there anything specific you are after?
Old 27-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Administrator

'' THE CHOLERA AT ALNWICK —The subscriptions for the relief of sufferers from this disease in Alnwick, already amount to about £600, which will greatly assist in removing the destitution caused by the epidemic. The Dissenters of the town, in order to mark their sense of gratitude to Providence in staying the plague, observed Wednesday as a thanksgiving day, and held divine service in their places of worship in the forenoon, and an aggregate meeting of all the dissenting congregations of the town was held the same evening, in the United Presbyterian Chapel in Clayport-street. The meetings, especially in the evening, were crowded, and appropriate addresses were delivered by the ministers present. About 130 persons has died since the cholera attacked Alnwick, and the disease was almost wholly confined to the most airy parts of the town—Clayport-street and the Green-batt. The church-yard presents an appearance of desolation, about sixty graves—newly filled —in a corner of a few square yards, covered with quicklime, telling powerfully against the practice of burying the dead in towns."

Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury Saturday 20 October 1849
Old 27-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Thank you for that. I've recently found out that an ancestor if mine was reduced to seeking help from a workhouse in Alnwick, and I just wondered where it would have stood.

With regards to the cholera outbreak, another ancestor of mine is shown to be living in the Clayport (1860-70s) area with her husband and young son, only for that son to me absent on the following census.

Having heard about a cholera epidemic I just wanted to see if that may have been the cause if his death.
Old 27-03-2014, 10:56 PM

There is a boatload of good information including maps, plans and photographs of the Alnwick workhouse at http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Alnwick/ Alternatively you can access it via Genuki.
George Tate's Alnwick has a lot about the cholera epidemic and also about living conditions in Clayport.....as in stuff that should have been in drains washing through the houses
Old 29-03-2014, 10:32 PM

Bailiffgate Museum has a display on the first floor and will be hosting an exhibition on the Pants of Alnwick from 3rd Sept to 2nd Nov, looking at the dirty history of Alnwick and how 19C sanitation saved the health of Alnwick.
Old 31-03-2014, 04:14 AM

Thank you. I'll have to have a look at that.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley29 View Post
Thank you for that. I've recently found out that an ancestor if mine was reduced to seeking help from a workhouse in Alnwick, and I just wondered where it would have stood.

With regards to the cholera outbreak, another ancestor of mine is shown to be living in the Clayport (1860-70s) area with her husband and young son, only for that son to me absent on the following census.

Having heard about a cholera epidemic I just wanted to see if that may have been the cause if his death.
I've finally been reunited with my Tate's Alnwick As Coquet says, the cholera epidemic was in 1849, starting in Clayport.
He does say that there were two epidemics in the 1860s, scarlatina in 1862 and measles and smallpox in 1863.