Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 08-03-2014, 05:48 PM

On the 1926 electoral register there is a Louisa Williamson with a factory on the Wynd (abode Warkworth). From another thread it was established that Turnbull and Williamson took over the Burton mineral water factory on Bridge Street. Looks like it has moved down the Wynd and eventually taken over by Young?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
On the 1926 electoral register there is a Louisa Williamson with a factory on the Wynd (abode Warkworth). From another thread it was established that Turnbull and Williamson took over the Burton mineral water factory on Bridge Street. Looks like it has moved down the Wynd and eventually taken over by Young?
Thanks Jan
There is a item in the London Gazette for 1974 winding (no pun intended) up the company
Old 09-04-2014, 09:09 AM

Default Amble gas works

Thanks to everyone who has put some information about the gasworks on the forum - it has been really helpful. Now I need to trace the Strakers before they arrived in Amble in the 1880s - they were originally from Stannington, Plessey Hall Farm in fact, but I can find no trace of them prior to this.

Thank you again everyone.

Maggie Nicholls
Old 09-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Looks like in April 1916 the War Office fancied a bit of John Straker of the gas works:

Amble Tribunal.
The Amble Tribunal met in the council chamber on Wednesday last, presided over by Mr R.G. McInnes, the military representative being Mr Houston Boswall. Three cases were considered.
Two were John Straker, and John Close, workmen at the Amble Gas Company.
Mr Harrison, manager of the Gas Company appeared for them and said if these two men were taken away he could not work the gas works. They could not be done without. It was a skilled occupation. Close said he did not mind if he joined tomorrow but he was wanted at the gas works.
Straker was put back three months, and Close two months.
The next case was that of George Chrisp, a painter and decorator, Amble, who wished to be put back a time until he could get the work he had in hand finished. Unless he was successful in this application he could not get the work done, and he would have a lot of material left on his hands. He was allowed to months 29/4/1916
Old 09-11-2015, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Added a vintage pic of the Fox and Hounds, opposite the gas works. Image generously donated by the granddaughter of the eldest child in the image, who has also identified some of the people.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:53 PM

Arrow

I’ve only just discovered those forum, my late grandfather was the last Straker who shut down amble gas works. The year is still unclear and a conversation my family and I are having currently but we’re trying to work out of its late 4’s of early 50’s.
Old 15-07-2022, 04:22 PM

Default Military Medal R Straker Amble

R. (Robert?) Straker 10 Scott Street Amble a sea going engineer won the Military Medal in WW1 but sadly lost his life in WW2.

Can someone look this up? - May be a good story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2538851F-5B81-43F0-A998-70682FDBF9CC.jpg (31.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 15-07-2022, 04:29 PM

Default R Straker M.M. 10 Scott Street Amble

[QUOTE=magaidhn;3324]My mother's family have lived in Amble since the late 1800s after losing their farm at Stannington. They used to live at the gas works at the bottom of the Wynd and I am trying to find out some information on the gas works so if anyone knows of anywhere I can get this I would be grateful. I also noticed that the family aren't on the electoral register - they were the Straker family.

R Straker (Robert?) a sea going engineer of 10 Scott Street, Amble, won the Military Medal in WW1 but sadly was lost in action at sea in WW2.

Can someone look this up? May be a good story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5394F6DA-53BB-4F7B-A2DA-59F90E3DFF2C.jpg (31.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 17-07-2022, 11:50 PM

[QUOTE=Hadston_Green;8146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaidhn View Post
My mother's family have lived in Amble since the late 1800s after losing their farm at Stannington. They used to live at the gas works at the bottom of the Wynd and I am trying to find out some information on the gas works so if anyone knows of anywhere I can get this I would be grateful. I also noticed that the family aren't on the electoral register - they were the Straker family.

R Straker (Robert?) a sea going engineer of 10 Scott Street, Amble, won the Military Medal in WW1 but sadly was lost in action at sea in WW2.

Can someone look this up? May be a good story.
Cutting attached. Commonwealth War Graves has a record suggesting he was serving in the Merchant Navy on the S.S. Chevington when he was killed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charles R Straker.jpg (82.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by j_mcquillen; 17-07-2022 at 11:58 PM.
Old 28-07-2022, 05:56 PM

A plan of the gas works is here on the website

https://www.fusilier.co.uk/maps_plan...orks_plan.html