Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 25-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Default Newburgh St Well

My Dad who lived in Henderson St seems to remember a well behind the phone box next to 'the store' and remembers the Harbour House as the Harbour Masters House but also flats. There may also have well further up near the end of Newburgh St near where Ivy St begins now. Earlier (late 30s) he lived in the house that became Jack Davis Shop and was often sent for water to the well. The shop cobblers in Smiths Yard was originally Ted Halls' before Watty (Walter)Gray.
Old 25-08-2015, 03:14 PM

I remember the cobblers shop which was run by Ralph Coulter after Ted Hall and before Watty Gray.
There was quite a big yard space after the cobblers which served as the yard access for the bottom end of Percy Street and some of Leazes Street.
Ralph Coulter had been a cobbler for the "Store" before going it alone. The "Store" cobblers was upstairs above what is now shared with Tesco and the CO OP undertakers.
Directly above the present undertakers Alan Young and his father lived in a flat accessed from the back of the butchers shop/ killing shops.
Old 25-08-2015, 04:53 PM

Eddie Griffiths was my uncle and after running the bakery and harbour Guest house went on to cook and deliver school meals from the old catholic school kitchens on Gibson St. When I was at Edwin St school I used to hang on the railings at morning break eagerly awaiting Uncle Ed delivering the school lunch and ask 'what is it today uncle Ed'? to which the reply was always - 'wait and see'!
Old 25-08-2015, 05:11 PM

Default Henderson Smith St

I lived in Henderson St in the early 60s and remember the entrance to the rear of Smiths St being an archway on Henderson St. Some of the properties were empty and they made a great playground if you could avoid falling through the holes in the floor. There seemed to be a constant stream of people 'recycling building materials' from the properties! One of the nettie doors distinguishable by a star shape cut out of it re-emerged as the grand entrance to an allotment near ours behind the old goods yard! After demolition around 68/69 ish the land was left derelict which made a good football pitch before the new houses were built in the 70s.