Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 25-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Default Amble West Cemetery

I don't know if members are aware of the website Find a Grave.com, I've found it useful searching for overseas burials of ancestors before now. Anyway there is a section about the West Cemetery with some photographs and about 40 burials listed.
Any individual can contribute photographs and descriptions on this website and it looks like the 40 on there have been produced by a family member.
Old 21-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Well this place has died a death. (no pun intended)

I've started photographing the west cemetery, but doubt I'll have the time to turn it into anything online. Handy to have the images for reference though.

This one near the entrance, and one of the first photos I took today, records an RAF airman shot down over Danzig:

In Loving memory of my dear husband John Forsyth, who died Jan 30th 1946, aged 50 (60?) years.
Also of Margaret McPherson Forsyth, his beloved wife who died Jan 2nd 1953, aged 63 years.
Also Sergt Pilot John Forsyth RAFVR, our beloved and only son, missing from air operations over Danzig July 11th 1942, aged 22 years.
Also Jean Dickenson Forsyth, their beloved daughter who died June 1990, aged 65 years.

1007363 Sergeant Pilot Forsyth's Lancaster, number R5696, 97 Squadron, operating from RAF Woodhall Spa,
was shot down by Flak, and he is buried in a collective grave, Malbork Cemetery in Poland.

http://www.rafcommands.com/archive/00155.php

The headstone suggests the family had still not received any information before 1946 regarding Sgt Forsyth Jnr.
Old 21-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Just found a detailed page on this one:

http://aircrewremembered.com/miller-charles.html
Old 21-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Administrator

"This cross is erected by his fellow officers and crews of the SS Gasconier and SS Peruvier in affectionate remembrance of David Linton, beloved husband of Ellen Linton who died at sea between St Vincent and Las Palmas on Nov 5th 1920 aged ?? years. Ellen, only child of the above...[continues]

Ellen Linton wife of the above, died 4th June 1964..."

Another side this stone commemorates 2 Lieut Robert McInnes, Lancashire Fusiliers, KIA WW1. (I have his service papers somewhere from the national archives)

Old 21-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Administrator

The entire Atlantic ocean lies between St Vincent and Las Palmas.

A photo of Chief Engineer David Linton (Born 15.1.1882, at Amble):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg David_Linton.jpg (61.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 21-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Administrator

The actual maritime death record for David Linton states 'missing', '60 miles S.W. of Las Palmas'. Address is 37 Church Street, Amble. His ship was the SS Gasconier.