Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 21-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Smile Lamb family

hi thanks for add, I'am doing research into Northumberland Families who lost a family member in WW1 and who where officers in Northumberland Fusiliers

Last edited by megan; 21-05-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 21-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Administrator

H Megan, welcome to the forum. Sounds like an interesting project, are you publishing it?
Old 23-05-2015, 05:10 AM

I'am helping as a volunteer researcher at Woodhorn Archives, on a project called "Northumberland at War", it's is going to be available on line and there is a blog of work that has been done for it, old photos, dairies and anything related to people who lived through First World War, my tiny part is looking for information on Officers who were killed, from Northumberland Fusiliers, any little bit of information all helps, to build up a picture of what it was like for our ancestors, during 4 years of war and aftereffects.
Old 23-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Wish I could attract a few volunteer researchers for this site! Woodhorn is out of bounds for me now due to their charging regime. Unless someone wants to donate me a couple of hundred quid

Anyway, not counting the pre war territorial officers, the rest of the Northumberland officers and officers generally tend not the be automatically commissioned to the County regiment to the same degree as the other ranks, so is someone else doing Northumberland officers 'not in the Northumberland Fusiliers'?

I've just updated this morning our 1917 page with about 50 hours work. Can''t see where I've been! It is the first of our 'year' pages nearing completion with about 5-10% to go. I wonder what percentage of the total casualties for 1917 it represents?
It would be nice to connect each man accurately to a Medal index card or whatever official documentation has survived but I'll save that work for my next reincarnation on this earth.
Old 23-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Default RE Walter Lamb.

Walter Lamb was 5’ 7½’’ tall, black hair, brown eyes, and he was 24 years 7 months of age when he enlisted into the Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry as a Private on the 18th September 1914. He joined for four years or the duration of the war. An Engineering Draftsman, he served his apprenticeship with the North Eastern Marine Engineering Company. He spent three months with the Northumberland Hussars before receiving a commission and joining ‘I’ company 22nd (Service) Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers (3rd Tyneside Scottish) as Second Lieutenant.

Do you have other info? photo?

We have more on Walter and his family in this thread (above and other details are from what is left of Walter's service papers at the National Archives)
Old 23-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Administrator

This is where you need to be for researching officers: this is the view from my seat at the national archives, year ago last feb (heavens has it been that long?)

Old 23-05-2015, 10:34 AM

not really much more on him he was at Dukes school till 1906, 1911 boarder in Wallsend, there is not much on him in St Georges Gazette, but hoping to find a picture of him, must of info I found is about his father, did get a bit off the Journal newspaper, but you will have all that going to search war dairies see if anything in them, later in year.
Old 23-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Administrator

I would be astonished if there is not at least a group photo of the officers the battalion surviving somewhere.
Probably worth tracking down Graham Stewart and asking him. He's active on the Great War forum.
Old 31-05-2015, 06:59 PM

Default lamb

thanks will do as soon as back back off holiday
Old 02-06-2015, 12:23 PM

I would have thought there would be a photograph in the Alnwick Gazette memorial edition published after the war?

Another piece on the Lambs from the Morpeth Herald, 13 July 1917:

"James William Lamb fourth son of Mr J W Lamb of Warkworth, has been gazetted lieutenant, dating from November 6th, 1916. His elder brother, Lieut. Walter Lamb, fell in action on the Somme, July 1st 1916; and his cousin, Second-Lieut. Thomas Lamb was accidentally killed while trying to save himself and others from a bursting grenade during bomb throwing at a camp in this country."
Old 02-06-2015, 12:33 PM

And the report of Walter Lamb's death in the Newcastle Journal of 11 July 1916:

"News was received yesterday by Councillor J W Lamb, Warkworth, that one of his sons, Lieutenant Walter Lamb, had been killed in action in France. The deceased enlisted in the Northumberland Fusiliers, and was connected with the machine gun section.
At the meeting of the Alnwick Rural Council, yesterday, Councillor J H Mansfield, chairman, referred to the loss sustained by one of their members, Councillor James W Lamb, through the death of his third son, Lieut. Walter Lamb, who had been killed in action in France, and also of his nephew, Second-Lieut. Thomas Lamb, who had been killed in a bomb accident at Chipchase Camp. The deaths of these two young officers would be a great trial to Councillor J W Lamb and to his sister Miss Elizabeth Lamb, also a member of the Council. He felt it would be the wish of the Council to send them expression of sympathy in their bereavement.
The members showed their approval of the suggestion by rising in their seats."
Old 02-06-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Wish I could attract a few volunteer researchers for this site! Woodhorn is out of bounds for me now due to their charging regime. Unless someone wants to donate me a couple of hundred quid

It would be nice to connect each man accurately to a Medal index card or whatever official documentation has survived but I'll save that work for my next reincarnation on this earth.
Just to show willing.....here's the medal card for Walter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medal Card Walter Lamb.jpg (55.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-06-2015, 02:07 PM

Know fine well re the Records Office I had a card for there went to find out about my Grandfather and an MC holder! . requested access to some records was told not available as those records were been held on request for a " Researcher" a common occurrence it seems! professionally researcher block book records! I travelled solely down on day rail ticket for to find what I could! not a lot it turned out Joe Public losses out. I did leave a comment but ever heard anything but was told by a "researcher"
that i Could pay for someone to research for me!.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 PM

Have you thought of joining Ancestry.co.uk to follow up war records. They have increased their collection considerably over the past few years.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Just to show willing.....here's the medal card for Walter.
No you can't do casualties. Too easy. Has to be someone on the newspaper list, that is not on the AVL and not a fatal casualty. (although the Newspaper list needs to be consolidated with the AVL)

The men of Amble and district that served in the Great War fall into
these groups:

Died (KIA, DOW, DOD and plain 'Died') these are generally on the memorials and we know who they are.

Men on the Absent voters list. (did you know there is another AVL for 1919? - this will have a few enlisted after the first AVL)

Men discharged time expired during the war before the AVLs (the most difficult group to identify)

Men wounded and discharged during the war (newspapers are the best source for these)

Once you sort them all out you will have the definitive "Amble and District Great War Roll of Service"

Although you can 'join the dots' with the data available on here and ancestry on an individual basis when required - leaves a bit of research fun!
Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 PM

There's always a catch with you