Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > New member zone

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 14-09-2016, 10:15 AM

Default Hi-info on Charles Mooney

Hello, I'm a new member. I am interested to know if anyone has any information on a family member called Charles Mooney. Charles was born in Ireland in 1876. He went to London and married in Kensington in 1911. He lived in Kensington until at least 1918.
The next I know is that Fr.Leo Hart, the Catholic Parish Priest in Amble, sent a telegram to Charles's sister Mary informing her that Charles had died on 16th June 1952. I then got his death certificate which states that Charles died at 31 High Street, Amble on 16th June 1952 and present at death was Greta Casey.His work is stated as " retired shipyard labourer". I know from research that Greta was the wife of Francis Casey ( the son of Walter John Casey).
What I would very much like to find out is-
Why Charles was in Amble and how long he had been there? I have looked at the graveyard information on your site but to no avail. I would love to know where he was buried.His funeral was arranged by the Co-Operative Society.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 15-09-2016, 09:11 PM

hello agivey, welcome to the site.

You've certainly got some interesting links there. Charles would, most likely, have been buried in the Roman Catholic section of the West Cemetery. I don't think poor Coquet and his camera have got up that end yet!
Old 15-09-2016, 10:08 PM

Janwhin
Thanks for that information. It gives me a starting point. Who knows what may yet turn up!
Old 16-09-2016, 02:08 PM

Have checked out the Catholic section of the Amble West Cemetery and there is no memorial for this man, he may not have had a headstone or is it possible he may have been taken back to Ireland ? I knew the Casey family well having been in the same class as Walter, Franks son, at the Amble RC school from 1948 to 1958. Also knew Greta and Frank well.
Old 16-09-2016, 11:42 PM

Alan J
Thank you so much for checking that out. You may be right about the lack of a headstone. It is highly unlikely that Charles' body was returned to Ireland so, sadly, he is probably in an unmarked grave.
I have been in touch with a Casey descendant who is making enquiries of the family to see if they remember anything about Charles.
Again, many thanks for letting me know about the graveyard- any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 19-09-2016, 10:45 PM

Default Charles Mooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
Have checked out the Catholic section of the Amble West Cemetery and there is no memorial for this man, he may not have had a headstone or is it possible he may have been taken back to Ireland ? I knew the Casey family well having been in the same class as Walter, Franks son, at the Amble RC school from 1948 to 1958. Also knew Greta and Frank well.
Alan J
I was wondering, given the above dates, whether you remember an old man living with the Caseys at High Street?
Old 20-09-2016, 06:27 AM

I can't remember anyone living there and I was at the house regularly. I would have been 9 at the time of the death. The school was just next to their house and I think Greta was the school cleaning lady. She was from Ireland and the Caseys were of Irish extraction also. We were altar servers and could possibly have served at the funeral.
Old 20-09-2016, 10:00 AM

Your first-hand information is very instructive. It eliminates ideas of Charles having been there for any significant length of time. Father Leo's letter to Mary Mooney mentions that 2 Masses were being said each week for the repose of his soul and that" He had every care for both body and soul, had a beautiful death and an abundant share of Masses and prayers after his death." If you served Mass at that time it is quite likely you did attend his funeral.
Charles left Ireland as a qualified solicitor and died a retired shipyard labourer but through the goodness of the Casey family and the Catholic community he may have found some solace at end of his life.
Old 21-09-2016, 08:28 AM

Default Charles Mooney Update

Hi all
Just to say I now have the section and plot number for the unmarked grave in Amble West Cemetery.
If anyone is in touch with the Casey family or can throw any light on as to why Charles Mooney died in Amble I would be very pleased.
Thank you to all who have helped.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:13 AM

Hi all
Just to say that the Casey family have been extremely helpful and have provided me with some very lovely memories of Charlie.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 AM

Nice to hear you got sorted out with your enquiries.