Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 09-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default Warkworth Transcription Challenge.

There is a Sarcophagus type grave in Warkworth cemetery (beach road cemetery, not the churchyard) which has me defeated.

Been back for a second look, still none the wiser. The text is a gothic type font.

Our friend Sod and his law comes into play here as the north facing side is clear and legible but is just verse, the south facing side is the one with the details and is of course illegible.

So anyone who is out for a walk in that area and fancies a bit of a transcription challenge take you notebook and pencil and get back to us on here with your results!

(Rest comes at length though life be long and dreary,
And earth's long shadows break in cloudless love.)
Old 09-08-2014, 01:38 PM

HARK! HARK, MY SOUL! (Faber) written 1854 . (Hymn)

John Howlison was grave digger for years he may be able to throw some light >(no i don't mean he dug this grave)

Last edited by leslie; 09-08-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
HARK! HARK, MY SOUL! (Faber) written 1854 . (Hymn)

You're right. I was too much of a heathen to recognise it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTucuHFDzvk

Must have had some money for such a grand monument anyway. I'm sure we will have heard of the family.

Last edited by Coquet; 09-08-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: sp
Old 13-08-2014, 11:26 AM

The burial records will be kept by the Clerk of warkworth council as it is still in use ! an approach may throw light !
Old 16-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Gorping at these photos for hours I've come up with:

......memory of Edward Richardson, eldest son of Edward Richardson, and of Jane Wigham his wife, formerly of Beech ........ Newcastle upon Tyne. He departed April 27th 1890 aged 54 years.

I think the Beech ......something is 'Beech Grove'.

can't find this family in the census to give a clue as to the mother's name. Not sure if they are Amble or Warkworth, or perhaps not here at all in 1881, but at Beech Grove.

mother's christian name in blue below:

Old 16-08-2014, 09:50 AM

Impressive gorping work, Coquet. There is an Edward Richardson death, aged 54, registered in Alnwick district.
Old 16-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Edward is in the death column of a London newspaper, published on the 30th April. Looks like they have the date death as the 28th when the stone says 27.

no more info found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg richardson_obit.jpg (31.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 16-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Probate. (Wealth from shipbuilding in the family?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg probate_edward_richardson.jpg (28.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 16-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Impressive gorping work, Coquet. There is an Edward Richardson death, aged 54, registered in Alnwick district.

I'm beginning to doubt my reading of the father's christian name as I can't find this family in the 81 or 91 census.
Old 16-08-2014, 10:24 AM

John Wigham Richardson. the brother is a help. On the 1861 census the family is living in Elswick. Parents are Edward and Jane. He is a leather manufacturer, employing 40 men and 10 boys. John is an iron shipbuilder employing 40 men and 10 boys?? In 1891 John is still a ship builder while in 1881, Edward (on the headstone) is a retired manufacturer, unmarried, living in Newcastle.
Old 16-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Administrator

That's a help. Looking at the other photo I can now see 'Jane'. The word I've highlighted in blue must be her middle name.

[transcription now edited above]
Old 16-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Wow!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wigham_Richardson

That's a historically significant brother Edward has there.
Old 16-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Administrator

I'm pleased I bashed on with that, rather than consign it to the too hard basket! (nearly did)
Old 16-08-2014, 10:56 AM
Administrator

The mother's middle name is of course (I can see it now clear as day) "Wigham".
Old 16-08-2014, 12:05 PM

That's a good Wikipedia entry. For those officianadoes of Jimmy Nail songs, the Neptune Yard is referred to in his song "Big River". Not many people know that
Old 16-08-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Wow!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wigham_Richardson

That's a historically significant brother Edward has there.
His nephew Charles Merz is very notable as well - Merz and Mclellen, laterly Parsons
Old 29-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Administrator

This stone relates to a Coquet tragedy but is a difficult one to read, has a nice thick coat of lichen to keep off prying eyes! Anyway, it starts:

In affectionate remembrance of William Simpson, fisherman ………… ………… who was accidentally drowned in the river Coquet ………

but....... the Kentish Gazette, 22 November 1864 refers: "SINGULAR DEATH OF THREE MEN- On Saturday the bodies of George Watson and Charles Milmore, itinerant vendors of fruit, were brought to North Shields, they, with a fisherman named William Simpson, having perished in the river Coquet on Thursday night under very singular circumstances. Watson and Milmore had been to Warkworth fair and hiring, selling fruit, and were on the road between Warkworth and Amble in their cart when they overtook Simpson, whom they gave a lift in their cart. They had also a little boy with them. Thursday night was extremely stormy and dark, and the Coquet was a good deal swollen with freshets, and the high tide was increased in volume by the heavy sea which prevailed outside. From some cause or other not explained, in approaching Amble the horse got off the road and plunged the cart and its living freight into the swollen waters of the Coquet. Their cries attracted the attention of the people who were upon the road returning from the fair, and the crew of Her Majesty's gunboat Surly, hearing the noise, manned two boats and put off to the exciting scene. The men appeared to have got out of the cart and were swept away and drowned. But the little boy clung to it, and the horse swimming with it, kept it afloat, and he was rescued. The bodies of the three lost men were recovered on Thursday night."

Poor old Simpson shouldn't have accepted the lift that night.

Her Majesty's gunboat "Surly" 232 tons- this appears to be in the service of HM Coastguard: "Became a tender to the Coast Guard in 1861" according to the wiki page on these Albacore class gunboats.

She would look like this:

They must have been very close to Amble for the boats of the gunboat to get involved?
Old 29-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Administrator

I see the Ship's Books, two volumes, have survived for HMS Surly and are at the National Archives. Depending of course on how long the ship was at Amble the books might contain some interesting local history snippets.

All 98 of those Albacore class boats were built for the Crimean War apparently?
Old 30-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Morpeth Herald 26 November 1864

FATAL ACCIDENT NEAR AMBLE.
On Friday last, J. J. Hardy, Esq , coroner, held an inquest at the Wellwood Arms, Amble, on the bodies of James Milmo, George Watson, and Wm. Simpson, who on Thursday, the 17th inst., met their death by drowning between Warkworth and Amble. The first witness examined was Margaret Milmo. She said: I am the widow of James Milmo, whose body has just been viewed. He was 35 or 36 years of age, and was a boatman at North Shields, and sometimes hawked fruit for me. I carry on the business of a fruiterer. He left North Shields on Tuesday morning with our horse and cart. laded with apples to hawk along the coast. We have had the horse two years, and I have travelled daily with it. Although a quiet horse, yet when it has been long in the shafts and travelled far, it is apt to get fidgetty and run back, and has done so with me many a time ; and it is not easy to stop it. My husband, though a very unsteady man, never to my knowledge took drink when from home. A boy named James Pemberton, whom we have kept for three weeks, left home with deceased, and knew all about the horse.—Robert Dawson : I am a seaman, and one of the bodies is that of William Simpson, aged 44, married, and with a family of 3 children, He was a fisherman, and lived at Hauxley. I last saw him alive on Thursday, at about 8.30 a.m. when he told me he was going to Warkworth fair. He was a steady man, and would take his allowance at times.—John Schofield, labourer, Alnwick, said—One of the bodies shown to the jury is that of Geo. Watson, aged 17, an orphan, He has been with me about 4 years, driving my cart, and lived with me. I attend affairs selling fruit, gingerbread, &c., and on Wednesday, deceased came with me to attend at Warkworth fair. I last saw him at 5 p.m, on Thursday, being with him in the Mason's Arms, Warkworth, when Milmo and others came in. Milmo had drink twice, but seemed capable, and left between 5 and 6 p.m., with his horse and cart, giving the deceased Watson a ride, so as he might bring my horse from Amble to Warkworth. The night was wet and vary dark.—James Pemberton, said—I am 12 years of age and belong to Gateshead, my father being a basket maker there, and hawks and is now at North Shields. I have known the deceased Milmo for 2 years, and have been living with him and his wife for the last 3 weeks. Milmo and I started from home last Monday on a hawking excursion, via Bedlington, and got to Amble on Tuesday night. We sold apples on the Wednesday, and we both went to
Warkworth fair to sell apples, and stood about one hour in the afternoon. Just before we started Milmo had two glasses of rum and was " kind o' tipsy," and did not know what be was doing with the reins, as it was wet and dark. He would drive, and the horse was wet and fidgetty, and would not stand still, When we left Warkworth, Milmo was sitting on the cart-head driving. Watson was at the hind end of the cart with me. We came on to Amble through Beal Bank Gate, and passed the Lock-up when the tide was not over the road, but nearly level with it. Between the Lock- up and the Old Granary we saw two men, one of whom was the deceased Simpson who was very drunk, and shouted, Hey, stop! and give us a ride." Milmo stopped the galloway, and Simpson got to the back side of the cart, when the pony backed, knocked over a post, and the deceased Simpson fell into the river, and also the cart, Milmo, and myself. The reins broke, and a man, named Longstaffe, who had previously got on to the cart, holding on to the pony’s tail. I was thrown out of the cart into the water, under the cart; and after struggling under water, got hold of the galloway's tail, and then climbed on to the limbers, and got hold of Milmo's coat, as he was still on the head of the cart. He shouted, "Who's that ?" and I said, "It was me ;" and then left the cart in fact, fell off—and swam ashore. After I got there I saw Milmo still sitting on the cart, which I saw again go down with the pony. When I next saw it Milmo was gone. I saw nothing of Watson or Simpson. After I was on shore, and before the cart went down, Milmo shouted to me; I shouted, "Come on," and he appeared as if urging the pony, until the cart went down. In about four minutes, the pony and cart were got out, and I saw the deceased, Watson, drop off the end of the cart as it was coming out, into the water. He was immediately picked up by a man-of-war's man —from the gunboat Surly—but he was dead.—The coroner and jury here went and inspected the place where the accident occurred. At the place there were upright posts—one of which had been knocked down by the cart—but there were no rails, they having been taken down when the slopes were made. The embankment down which the cart and horse went, was about eleven or twelve feet deep; the bank being at about an angle of 46 degrees; and at the time of the accident there would be about ten feet depth of water.—The other witnesses examined were William Longstaff, who was present at the catastrophe; William Turnbull, the man alluded to by the boy Pemberton, as accompanying the deceased Simpson, and who—with Longstaff— hailed the gunboat Surly for help; and George Mason, a grocer, of Amble, who also joined in the vain efforts to render assistance. These confirmed the testimony of the boy Pemberton. The jury returned the following verdict:—"That James Milmo, George Watson, and Wm. Simpson were accidentally drowned, by the running back of a horse and cart into the river Coquet, near Amble, on the 17th day of November, 1864, and the jury urgently call upon the proper authorities to take steps to remedy the very dangerous and unprotected state of the road between Amble and Warkworth, by the erection of a fence or other sufficient means." The coroner was also requested to send copies of the verdict to both the clerk and surveyor of the Highway Board.
Old 30-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Re HMS Surly.

When the Duke died in February 1865, in the funeral procession were men and officers of the Surly.

Morpeth Herald refers: ............ A striking group amongst the persons assembled at the Guest Hall were the officers and men of the Gunboat Surly, at present stationed at Amble for the protection of the fishery in the neighbourhood. .........

So they might have been stationed here for a while. Amble had a Gunboat. Who'd a thunk it. ee by gum am chuffed.