Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 10-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Default Northumberland Fusiliers

FindmyPast has just added the records of the Northumberland Fusiliers for the period 1881 to 1920. As an example, I stuck in "Amble" as the only key word on their search page and it has turned up plenty of results.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Yes noticed that. I knew years ago Graham Stewart was working on the definitive list of Northumberland Fusiliers, I think the original idea was to put it on a CD- 'times they are a changin' and everyone is now selling their data to the genealogy websites.

British Army, Northumberland Fusiliers 1881-1920
Old 10-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Administrator

The 'Amble' search produced 279 results. If we have about 100* on the war memorial we should see about 1000. (I'm sure the majority will be in the database, but home town not recorded)

*anyone ever counted the number of Northumberland Fusiliers on the memorial?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
The 'Amble' search produced 279 results. If we have about 100* on the war memorial we should see about 1000. (I'm sure the majority will be in the database, but home town not recorded)

*anyone ever counted the number of Northumberland Fusiliers on the memorial?
No units mentioned on the Town Memorial!
Old 10-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Administrator

I think they are just about all identified mainly from the Commonwealth war graves site. We have most of the men here. It's some years* now since we did that page, we could probably finish off the missing ones now with a bit of effort, if the Town Council has not already got a complete listing in their work. (*2009?? 6 years ago - we've been here a long time, still not a dish washed)
Old 23-10-2015, 06:22 PM

Default George curry

My great, great uncle George curry was a lance corporal in the Northumberland fusiliers 7th battalion, service number 1459 he was killed at Flanders 1916.
Don't know if he was buried over there ????
Old 23-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Only the living returned to the UK, dead were generally buried in the theatre they died in. A large number of wounded who were shipped back to hospitals in the UK and subsequently died are marked like their dead comrades overseas with a commonwealth war graves headstone. There are a few exceptions, generally men buried in family plots.

I have George Curry's medals in my collection. Had them a few years.

George was buried in Maple Copse Cemetery, which unfortunately was close to the fighting lines and was subsequently shelled, many of the earlier graves thus being destroyed or unidentifiable. George being one of them.
Old 24-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Oh,I've got goose pimples !!!!!! I can vaguely remember granda ( George) telling me when I was younger but until I started our family tree I couldn't put name to relation !!!
Hopefully one day I can visit there x
Old 07-05-2016, 02:37 PM

Thank for this link, found my grandfather. Just got to find what "cause of discharge KR Para 392" means
Old 07-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlad View Post
Thank for this link, found my grandfather. Just got to find what "cause of discharge KR Para 392" means
You can find the details here:
http://www.military-researcher.co.uk...roduction.html

is a sub-paragraph detailed? 'xvi' is the most common one for discharge during war time; 'no longer physically fit' - that usually means wounds or sickness.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You can find the details here:
http://www.military-researcher.co.uk...roduction.html

is a sub-paragraph detailed? 'xvi' is the most common one for discharge during war time; 'no longer physically fit' - that usually means wounds or sickness.
Thanks, he was an xxi, termination of his ___ period of engagement. Service no was 7/809 Sgt Ralph Watson, died 1918 at 35 Long Row South, Radcliffe. We think he was gassed? Not sure why he was an xxi though
Old 08-05-2016, 07:43 PM
Administrator

He would be a pre-war enlistment. Those that enlisted in the territorial force before war was declared did so for 4 years. When his time was up he could leave, 'time expired', even in the middle of a war. Enlistments after the declaration of war were generally for the 'duration'.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
He would be a pre-war enlistment. Those that enlisted in the territorial force before war was declared did so for 4 years. When his time was up he could leave, 'time expired', even in the middle of a war. Enlistments after the declaration of war were generally for the 'duration'.
never knew that. I dont know when he enlisted or was discharged so dont know if he had long at home before he died, looks like he died of the Spanish flu
Old 10-05-2016, 06:29 PM

Default Ralph Watson

Medals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ralph Watson.jpg (147.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Have you found his service papers? You are lucky, they are online. He signed up on 21st April 1909 and served 7 years. Discharged 21st April 1916

Coal Miner, 22 Ladbroke Street, Amble, at discharge. Tattoos: 'Queen Alexandra' right arm, and 'Hands across the Sea' left arm

He was attached to the 175th Tunnelling Company in December 1915 and stayed with them until he returned to his own unit for discharge.

I bet the army was not too pleased to lose him.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Administrator

I see the 175th Tunnelling Co. dug the mine access tunnels under Hill 60. With the mine placed there and a series of other mines eventually detonated by the Australian and other Tunnelling cos. in 1917, they blew up the Messines Ridge with the Germans on it. Quite a significant event in the war - 'the mines of Messines'; the detonations were quite audible in London apparently.

There is an Australian movie about that, called 'Beneath Hill 60'
Old 11-05-2016, 08:45 AM

Wow, thank you Coquet that is great information. Watched "Hill 60" recently, which was good. How do you find service records? have you a link please. We knew he resided at 22 Ladbroke street at some time and Tweedmouth and Capheaton, anywhere for work in those days. My mother was only 1 yr old when he died in October 1918 at Radcliffe. Gran remarried. Have to get a tattoo then!
Old 11-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Administrator

This is the first page on findmypast if the link works, then arrow right for the rest.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...782%2f72%2f836

His address in 1909 is 13 Hartside Terrace Chevington Drift and he is a miner working for Broomhill Collieries Ltd.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:44 PM

Yes the link is good, can`t believe we now have his complete service record, thank you
Old 28-08-2016, 12:02 PM

Default 1/7th Battalion NF

For my sins, I've decided to do some research into the names on the Eglingham War Memorial. I've come across a death of a lance corporal on 15 Sept 1916 and had a look at the War Diaries. Would I be right in thinking that this is all part of the Somme? Henencourt Wood features.