Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Interesting to see a reference to an Edinburgh oyster boat in the Boulmer incident. Was searching for references to this activity in Victorian times via google. Apparently there was a dramatic and sudden collapse of the UK oyster fisheries in the mid 19c, but I can't find any specific reference to oyster beds and fishing in the north east.

Not my favourite food oysters. Tried them once raw straight out of the shell. Won't do that again.
Ugh, can't even bear the thought

Thought I'd have a look in the newspapers for oyster references, I like this one from the Shields Gazette of 29 August 1882:
"The joy caused in gastronomic and epicurean circles by Mr Olsen's paper on "The North Sea Fisheries" and the great oyster discoveries there, will be shared by the whole oyster eating world. Two hundred miles of oyster beds 30 to 70 miles wide-that is to say, 10,000 acres of splendid oysters within easy distance of the British coast-is a discovery to which all those of Stanley and Livingstone sink into insignificance. One curious feature is that the oysters lie at a depth of 21 fathoms, thus disposing summarily of the prevalent idea that oysters can only be raised successfully in shallow water. The man who invents a new dish, according to some, the man who plants a tree according to the Mahommedans, deserves well of mankind; but what is the reward of a man who discovers 10,000 acres of oysters? And yet all this is tinged with the melancholy doubt (says the Pall Mall G ) whether oysters will be cheaper in consequence"

That put Livingstone and Stanley in their place then
Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 AM

It seems like the 1870s was when oysters were disappearing, according to the Alnwick Mercury in 1874. Native oysters had been over dredged and were in danger of becoming extinct, so the word was out that oysters had to be given up. Before that however.....
Morpeth Herald, 8 June 1861:

"The active and discriminating benevolence of His Grace the Duke of Northumberland, which is directed with quite as much interest to the "huts where poor men lie" as to the noblest and most imposing institutions of the land, is always finding out new objects of public utility. On learning that the fishermen find much difficulty and spend a great amount of time and labour in procuring bait, His Grace has turned his attention to the formation of mussel beds along the coast for their use; and a most experienced person has been engaged in this highly useful undertaking, while another from Billingsgate-the classic region of fish and of muscular and vernacular English-is at present occupied in making oyster beds at Alnmouth, in the extensive slake formed by the estuary of the Aln. This pleasant bathing place-with a beach for promenading unrivalled on the Northumbrian coast-was lighted with gas during last winter; and in connection with the gas works, a suite of rooms have been built, containing salt water, hot, cold, and shower baths, which will add greatly to the accommodation and requirements of those who visit it during the summer months."
Old 02-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Fascinating. Never heard of Oyster fishing around these parts before but it must have been significant at one time. Did we have Amble Oyster boats?

In modern times I think we did have some scallop fishing from Amble but not anymore? The Norwegian lobster (scampi prawn) was the mainstay here for a while (correct me if I'm wrong on that). I think the prawn factory [Border Lairds, Amble Industrial estate], where they processed them has closed and reopened again with a smaller workforce so perhaps not the priority species anymore? I'm not really up to date on the local fishing industry, today or historic - someone that is familiar with it should start a thread on it to get us up to speed*.

Anyway, I'll have to keep a lookout for oyster shells on the shore now - even if they died out a hundred+ years ago I bet shells are still about?

[*I should ask the father in law - Eddie Armstrong, he's an Amble lobster fisherman. ]

Anyway I've strayed you away from the Customs topic. Sorry. Do carry on.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:46 PM

It's always nice to have a little ramble....doesn't Holy Island have oyster beds?
Old 02-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Yep you're right. An oyster farm. Pacific oysters. Looks like it was established in its current form 1989, but with a long previous history of Oyster farming.

http://www.lindisfarneoysters.co.uk/

The Rev James Raine recorded evidence in "History and Antiquities of North Durham" to suggest that the oyster beds were originally founded in 1381, when the Monks bought an oyster filled boat from a Scotsman for 100 shillings. He deduced that prior to that date there were no local oysters and theorised that the very purchase started off the Monks own oyster farm.

I wonder if the Alnmouth attempt was a similar affair with the native oyster? Business opportunity there? re-establish an Alnmouth Oyster farm?