Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Warkworth and Birling

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 25-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Default Grey of Morwick Hall

Looking for info on that ruin at Morwick has landed me in amongst some other interesting newspaper pieces about Sir John Grey of Morwick Hall, so here's a snippet:
Newcastle Journal, 12 March 1842: The command of the Army, now placed in such critical circumstances at Cabul, will devolve upon Major General John Grey, of Morwick, in this County, who is now on his passage to India. General Grey is a brave and distinguished officer, having fought and bled under the Duke of Wellington in Spain.

Newcastle Journal, 9 March 1844: The commander of the left wing of the army of Gwalior, on the occasion of the sanguinary conflicts of the 29th of December, at Maharaijpoor and Punniar, with the insurgent forces of Mahratta, was Major General John Grey, C.B. of Morwick in this county, an old Peninsular campaigner under the Duke of Wellington, and an officer of the highest merit and bravery.

Durham Advertiser, 17 May 1844: The Queen has appointed Major General John Grey, of Morwick, Northumberland, Companion of the Most Hon. Military Order of the Bath, to be a Knight Commander of the said Order, in consideration of his brilliant services at the recent battle of Gwalior, India.

Newcastle Courant, 3 April 1846: Amongst those employed in the service against the Sikhs are Major General Sir John Grey, of Morwick, a brave and highly distinguished Peninsular officer, who is in command of one of the divisions of the army of the Punjaub.
Old 25-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Grey served with the 5th Foot (predecessor to the Northumberland Fusiliers) and was wounded at Ciudad Rodrigo (1812) during the Penninsula Wars.
Old 25-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Administrator

I'll have to get Hodgson's Morwick page up. It's quite interesting. The last 'Morwick' owner was Sir Hugh de Morwick III (inq p.m. 1269) but he must have had no eligible male issue as it went to his two daughters Sibilla and Theophania, then through their marriages to 'Bulmer' and 'Lumley' offspring. About 1553 the Greys are on the scene via purchase of the Lumley section.
Old 25-02-2017, 04:08 PM

I remember a Captain Tate living there in the late 1950's he was a governor of the Amble Modern School.
Old 25-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Here is the pedigree for the latter Greys. (from my water damaged copy - it was in a fire and hosed down by the fire brigade in the USA - I kid you not)

I see Sir John Grey had a brother killed at the siege of New Orleans, 1815.

So the estate passed to cousin Sir George Grey of Fallodon. But Madame Maria Senillart of Boulogne got a 100 quid annuity? Services rendered during the Penninsula War perhaps

I wonder if Capt Tate connects to the Greys via marriage?

Old 25-02-2017, 07:24 PM

Catherine Maria buried in a vault in the gardens at Morwick, the vault must still be there?
Old 25-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Catherine Maria buried in a vault in the gardens at Morwick, the vault must still be there?
Yes they have a private burial ground up there.

Plaque from the Warkworth church thread:

Old 02-03-2017, 05:37 PM

My Murray`s for 1864 says, "In the N. isle of Warkworth Church is the effigy of a knight with the (modern) inscription," `"The effigy of Sir Hugh de Morwick who gave the common to this town of Warkworth."` "Sir Hugh was an eminent Judge of the Court answering to that of Commons Pleas in Temp. Henry 11."

Pevsner writes, "MORWICK HALL. Georgian manor house of red brick with quoins and window trim of stone. One canted bay window in the front gothicized."

What I `d like to know is - is the Hall still there?

Last edited by Vagabond; 02-03-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:24 PM

What happened there?

The forum wasn`t available for a while, and then when it came back Sir Hugh de Morwick`s effigy had gone walkabout - vanished!

maybe he went for an ice cream

Nice to know the Hall`s still there, must visit next time I`m in the area.