Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Other Northumberland Miscellanea

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 12-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Fairly sure its not St Cuthbert's Amble.
Yes you're right, this is St Cuthbert's for comparison, some of our mob, 1959

[edit : the youngest person in the photo is now 62, 3 of the adults are dead, and Arthur Goode [Whittle miner], mentioned elsewhere on the forum is on the right.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img479.jpg (72.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 13-12-2017, 11:53 AM

The original photograph has gone to be replaced by a wedding group outside a brick built church. From what I remember of the original one it did look like St Cuthbert's and the groom's father looked familiar to me!
Old 15-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Administrator

I think its still there Janwhin, but the auction is over, ebay might be redirecting you elsewhere

isolated image here:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/B44AA...mG/s-l1600.jpg
Old 16-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Janwhin is still right, the image Coquet posted (definitely St Cuthbert's) has different ironwork on the door (there are thin scrolls on Coquet's image). The steps are different and there are rounded columns down the sides of the door on the eBay image. Any guesses which church it is?! By the way, I am looking at the right image on eBay, not the brick one. Broomhill possibly?
Old 09-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I've caught up now

According to the Morpeth Herald, she lived in Warkworth. so she'll be in the Beach Road cemetery but without a headstone. A trip to Woodhorn by someone to check the burials!
Well there were no takers so I had a drive up North.
Found the Parish of Warkworth burial record but it does'nt state where she was buried just her abode of Warkworth. The vicar was Jas. Fairbrother. Would this indicate she was buried at Beach Road cemetery?
Also found her husbands burial of 1891 same M.O but vicar S.W. Tompson??(bit blurry) - I imagine they are in the same plot? I would have thought with him being a stone mason he might have had a stone but no records.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:30 PM

Hope you enjoyed your trip north!!

When we were arranging an interment at Beach Road I had a look at the burial records for Beach Road cemetery because my grandparents, uncle and great grandfather had an unmarked plot. I got that and erected 2 headstones. No existing headstones despite the fact that a double plot had been bought.

The burial register I sourced was at Woodhorn and I uncovered the plots of Beach Road where my earlier 2 times greats had been buried. No signs because new burials have taken place over the top of old ones. This register is different to the normal parish burial register as it is specific to the actual burial plot.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:05 PM

One of my lot !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181022_210017.jpg (49.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181022_205814.jpg (67.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 22-03-2019, 02:21 PM

another Amble photo on ebay - may be someone's family...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153424791013?ul_noapp=true
Old 22-03-2019, 02:23 PM

another Amble photo on ebay - someone may recognise the family....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153424791013?ul_noapp=true
Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 PM

Default School Photo by Peter Higgins.

Hi, new to this site.
I have (I hope) uploaded a 'photo taken by photographer Peter Higgins, of some school kids, probably in Newcastle, but his name was on a list you had of photographers, so I thought it useful or relevant to your collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190424_111527.jpg (81.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20190424_111537.jpg (30.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-05-2019, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi, new to this site.
I have (I hope) uploaded a 'photo taken by photographer Peter Higgins, of some school kids, probably in Newcastle, but his name was on a list you had of photographers, so I thought it useful or relevant to your collection.
Thank you
Old 08-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Administrator

I picke up an interesting one in Blyth the other day, allegedly a bunch of miners:

Old 08-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Could be miners at the bottom of a colliery heapstead somewhere. No photographer's name visible from the front. I'm tempted to open it to see if there is anything on the back.

I'm not familiar with that type of lamp the guys have. small square metal frame, I assume with glass in it. Probably held a candle.

If it is a pit it's probably one of the myriad in the blyth / wansbeck area. But you never know could be one from our neck of the woods.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:50 PM

Default Pringle photo on ebay

another Amble related photo - you never know.........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183913680931?ul_noapp=true
Old 11-10-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Hope you enjoyed your trip north!!

When we were arranging an interment at Beach Road I had a look at the burial records for Beach Road cemetery because my grandparents, uncle and great grandfather had an unmarked plot. I got that and erected 2 headstones. No existing headstones despite the fact that a double plot had been bought.

The burial register I sourced was at Woodhorn and I uncovered the plots of Beach Road where my earlier 2 times greats had been buried. No signs because new burials have taken place over the top of old ones. This register is different to the normal parish burial register as it is specific to the actual burial plot.
janwhin - are you still around?
well taking your advice tried to find the actual burial plot today at Woodhorn found an old plan of burials but it didn't seem to be the Beach rd cemetery and the numbers didn't match the burial plot i have found (873) (used for 3 family members) I couldn't find any other info - can you offer any advice on what to ask for to find the actual plots....
The archivist was non helpful and tried to fob me off...but if you have found this info it must be available....
Thanks Gordon.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:14 PM

Red face

I am still around but only infrequently. 'll have a look through my papers to see if I have the Woodhorn reference. As I recall it was actually a handwritten register of actual burials so probably supported the more usual one which is more generally available.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:11 PM

Hi Gordon, I've had a look through my papers and discovered the only plan I have is one of the "new" section of the Beach Road cemetery which is where my great grandfather and grandparents are buried. This is the section you reach if you turn right through the gates and head towards the far stone wall. A tree lined path goes off at right angles and this section is between it and the far wall.
I recall now that I wanted to put up a headstone for my older ancestors who are in the area which faces you as you go through the gate. The sexton told me there were no records for that oldest bit of the cemetery and that it was being re-used for newer burials. So I couldn't do anything for them!
Old 30-03-2020, 09:11 PM

Have uploaded one Peter Higgins photo (and reverse) showing a very similar school image.
Hope this is of interest and can be shown in this collection.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:38 PM

Default another Amble related photo

notice this on ebay today

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184289432492?ul_noapp=true