Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 16-12-2017, 10:00 PM

Default Red Row Picture Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonx View Post
Saw a fair few films in there early 60s,bought my first pint in the grey arms,well some one went to the bar for me as i still had a few years to go till i could buy my own.
My Grandfather, John Kellett, lived in Red Row with his family until the early 1930s. He was a deputy overman and shotfirer at Broomhill Colliery. He was also a founding owner, in 1913, of the Red Row Electric Palace, which became the Red Row Picture Hall in 1923. His partners were John Bell and Thomas Gibson.
In 1914, despite being over-age and exempt from military service because he was a coal miner, he volunteered for the Army and in 1915 went to France with the 14th Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers. He was awarded the Military Medal, in recognition of which he was given an engraved gold pocket watch by the Broomhill and District Heroe's Fund. He was wounded and captured by the Germans in May 1918, spending the last seven months of the war in Gothenburg POW camp.
After the war he returned to Red Row and continued to operate the Picture Hall until 1931 when he sold his share in the business and moved the family to Chester-le-Street, where his son, my father George Kellett, started a building and contracting business.
Old 17-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Administrator

"11914 L./C. J. Kellet, North'd Fus. (Broomhill)."

London Gazette 12th December 1917. 100 years and 5 days ago?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...pplement/13014

Don't think we've come across this chap before?

Did you find out what the events were that won the medal?
I think that publication date is a little early for Passchendaele
Old 17-12-2017, 08:16 PM

Default 11914 L./C. J Kellett

My grandfather never disclosed what he did to earn the Military Medal. I personally asked him about it and he deflected my questions. It was probably won at The Battle of Polygon Wood, The Battle of Broodseinde or The Second Battle of Passchendaele - all of which involved the 14th Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers in 1917.
After the war he became a fierce competitor in the annual leek show which I believe was held at the Red Row Working Men's Club. According to family legend he won so regularly he was made a judge, to eliminate him from the competition.
Do you know what caused the eventual demolition of the Picture Hall? Was it the same fire as that which destroyed the Grey Arms?
Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 PM

Default Then and now Red Row

Taken 2yrs ago, maybe the 60s the old one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Row shops (2).JPG (109.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Red Row 008.jpg (72.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-02-2018, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Rather sad. Like it the way it was.

Can you remind me what this one was in its heyday (next door to the old Country Parks pub):

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-52779807.html
Old 03-02-2018, 11:29 AM

Wasn't that a butcher's shop on the left corner?
Old 03-02-2018, 03:42 PM

Default Re. Butchers shop.

Yes Janwin, right again. It was all part of the Central Store complex, the Head Office of stores at The Drift, Red Row and North Broomhill. (I am not sure if it had closed prior to Hadston Co-op opening in what is now The 'Tute on Druridge Avenue.
Re The central Hall, I was introduced to Jackie Milburn, circa 1954, when he came for a presentation ceremony. (Almost my total claim to fame. lol)
Old 23-06-2018, 05:54 PM

Default The Co-op Red Row

The Co-op and the Primrose Hall. No date, not sure if it was called the Primrose Hall when this was taken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Row Co-op.JPG (36.8 KB, 51 views)
Old 23-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie View Post
Parsonx - I take it the Nardini chip shop is now the Ocean Star Chinese Take-Away? The two ladies (sisters) Nardini and Bruce used to own the cafe above Law's Stores in Morpeth (imaginatively called the Narbru!). I used to wile away many an hour after school with chips and gravy and a coke float there.
One of them, can't remember which, also owned the Harbour chippy in Amble.
When I lived at the Warkworth house hotel, we were good friends with "Jimmy and Leila Bruce", they had the Harbour fish bar, at least 71 to 76, she was Italian, and was told off my dad, she was related to Sir Charles Forte, the hotelier, he was of Scottish decent, I think

Peter
Old 23-06-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie View Post
The Cinema and dance hall were owned by Ralphie ?? he lived in green-tiles I think. The manager of both was a Mr Mavin, a friend of my dad . I used to get free into both when I went , I think the last ones in sixties toi run dances was Stuart Manders his family had Manders Amusements in Amble that would be mid sixties, The Coop was next to Dance hall ???
I went to school,, Allendale Middle school. the lad I knew there (as we were both boarding) was a Michael Manders, so Stuart must have been his father. I remember he was the person to get me to go to the same school as his son. He had a new Audi 80, then
Old 24-06-2018, 09:22 PM

Michael Manders was the last person in the Manders family to run the amusements in Amble. I was suprised to see nothing left of the site . There building chalets there now I think . Michael in still in the area but not in Amble.
Old 28-06-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickt View Post
Michael Manders was the last person in the Manders family to run the amusements in Amble. I was suprised to see nothing left of the site . There building chalets there now I think . Michael in still in the area but not in Amble.
My memory is failing me, OF course it was Michael that I went to school with, he is a few years older than me. I remember him buying part of my train set from me, when we lived at Warkworth
Old 06-08-2018, 12:47 PM

The general store up from Nardidi's was owned by Effie - can't remember the surname. Her husband was Wilf. Just remembered. Effie Erskine.

Last edited by raffles; 07-08-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffles View Post
The general store up from Nardidi's was owned by Effie - can't remember the surname. Her husband was Wilf. Just remembered. Effie Erskine.
Erskins shop had 2 entrys .main one at the front and the other from the back yard.
Old 30-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Default Morpeth Herald November 1919 Red Row Picture Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
My Grandfather, John Kellett, lived in Red Row with his family until the early 1930s. He was a deputy overman and shotfirer at Broomhill Colliery. He was also a founding owner, in 1913, of the Red Row Electric Palace, which became the Red Row Picture Hall in 1923. His partners were John Bell and Thomas Gibson.
In 1914, despite being over-age and exempt from military service because he was a coal miner, he volunteered for the Army and in 1915 went to France with the 14th Batt. Northumberland Fusiliers. He was awarded the Military Medal, in recognition of which he was given an engraved gold pocket watch by the Broomhill and District Heroe's Fund. He was wounded and captured by the Germans in May 1918, spending the last seven months of the war in Gothenburg POW camp.
After the war he returned to Red Row and continued to operate the Picture Hall until 1931 when he sold his share in the business and moved the family to Chester-le-Street, where his son, my father George Kellett, started a building and contracting business.
In 1919 three lessees of the Electric Palace Theatre were fined £10 each when in breach of the loathsome Entertainment Tax Act of 1916 where a percentage of each ticket sold went in tax. This tax was finally abolished in 1960
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1919 Nov (2).jpg (95.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 1919 Nov 2.JPG Morpeth Herald (2).jpg (74.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1919 Nov 3 (2).JPG (137.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Red Row Picture Hall.jpg (118.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-01-2020, 09:12 PM

Default Betty Mackenzie

Is Betty still about?? Where does she live?? I was engaged to her in the 50's but alas it fell through and I often wonder how she was.
Old 25-01-2020, 08:11 AM

My father , Hylton Young , used to describe his childhood in Amble thus , ” I was the luckiest lad , as my Uncle John ( Young) owned the picture hall in Red Row in the 40s , and my best mate , La Craiggs, his Dad owned the buses , so we would go to the pictures for free whenever we wanted ..... !” Simple pleasures ....

I also have memories of the infant school , as my Grandma , Annie Young from Amble , was deputy head there . I have vague memories of going with my Granda , Norman Young, to pick her up after school, and meeting Miss Bell the Headteacher. Decades later , it was quite a shock to see the school had become a garage .

Hylton also used to say that when he was a kid , (30s and 40s) he and his Amble pals wondered whether , one day , Amble would grow to the extent that it would join up with Radcliffe , North Broomhill etc ...... they weren’t far wrong were they , even if it is the 2030s , 2040s or 2050s before it actually happens .....
Old 05-06-2020, 12:00 PM

Default Red Row Bakery

Who owned the bakery which was behind the shops at RedRow next to the big school?
Old 13-10-2020, 10:24 AM

Default Corner Shop

A photo of my dad outside the 'Buffs' (though my memory may be faulty)
with Hetheringtons on the other side of the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hetheringtons.jpg (60.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:54 PM

Default Red Row Bakery

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsonx View Post
Who owned the bakery which was behind the shops at RedRow next to the big school?
I am trying to find some history about the bakery too. Does anyone know anything or have pictures?

It is now a large house.

TIA

Gary