Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 29-12-2013, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Drainage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Did you see this? I think it's just a field drain but an ancient one. Constructed from sandstone. There are more of those square sandstone covers that have been flipped off by the sea nearby.

I think we've lost 3-5 metres of dunes in the recent storms.

Coquet, are you referring to drainage south of The Carrs? If so, are these not drainage pipes from Newborough Colliery. Not only the colliery waste spill was removed by opencast mining. However, as I said in a previous post this drainage system ended outside the borders of opencast operations and likely to cost far too much to remove and for no benefit at the end of it. I cannot deny there may be older drainage in the same area but would mining records possibly reveal what lies there?
However, it does reach the sea within a stones throw of recent excavations, on which you provided valuable information earlier this year for site members. The two could be connected.
Old 30-12-2013, 08:54 AM

The photos above are of a drain exposed half way between Hauxley and Amble. It has steadily been exposed, coming out from a natural dip in the dunes and land beyond, presumably a field drain outlet to make the fields less wet? It had a stone covering to it, some of which is still in situ. The interesting thing was the heavily stratified sand / soil where it was exposed continues unbroken above and to both sides, presumably it must have been dug into a trench many years ago and the sand has steadily covered it causing the unbroken layers to form.
Old 30-12-2013, 11:00 AM

A couple of photos showing the sand layers unbroken above it. It is probably no coincidence that there is an area of ancient peat and timber on the beach below. Perhaps this an ancient stream, marshy area which as the dunes retreated caused a build up of water behind making the fields waterlogged. A cover was put on the culvert and sand has built up over it ever since (looks like a couple of hundred years old?). Is the stream marked on any old maps Coquet?

And a couple of photos of an impressive ancient tree nearby before it is lost to the sea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC300217.jpg (81.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg PC300218.jpg (77.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg PC300220.jpg (72.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg PC300219.jpg (65.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 30-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
Coquet, are you referring to drainage south of The Carrs? If so, are these not drainage pipes from Newborough Colliery. Not only the colliery waste spill was removed by opencast mining. However, as I said in a previous post this drainage system ended outside the borders of opencast operations and likely to cost far too much to remove and for no benefit at the end of it. I cannot deny there may be older drainage in the same area but would mining records possibly reveal what lies there?
However, it does reach the sea within a stones throw of recent excavations, on which you provided valuable information earlier this year for site members. The two could be connected.

Hi Derilda, this is Amble Beach as Hollydog mentions, sorry I forgot to include the precise location in the earlier post. The water out of this appears to be contaminated with red ochre as associated with mining. Not sure why that is. The ground it is draining probably underlay Hauxley pit heap at one time, that perhaps something to do with it.

here's the location anyway (sorry pic quality not good, only had my pocket camera). This is looking south from the middle of the 'big shore' or 'Amble beach' if you keep walking in this direction for 300 yards you will reach the more modern outfall pipe of the now defunct Hauxley Colliery surface pumping station.

That ancient drain's walls are just visible in the pool in the midground.

Old 30-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
A couple of photos showing the sand layers unbroken above it. It is probably no coincidence that there is an area of ancient peat and timber on the beach below. Perhaps this an ancient stream, marshy area which as the dunes retreated caused a build up of water behind making the fields waterlogged. A cover was put on the culvert and sand has built up over it ever since (looks like a couple of hundred years old?). Is the stream marked on any old maps Coquet?

And a couple of photos of an impressive ancient tree nearby before it is lost to the sea
Nice photos! that area of exposed peat looks enormous. 6000bc when that tree stood upright. Yes there is a good flow out the drain - you would think at one time there must have been a stream or burn inland of that point.
Old 30-12-2013, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Storm revelations

Quote:
Nice photos! that area of exposed peat looks enormous. 6000bc when that tree stood upright. Yes there is a good flow out the drain - you would think at one time there must have been a stream or burn inland of that point.
Thank you, Coquet and Hollydog, for putting me in the correct location. It all looks very interesting. Excellent photographs all round.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:54 AM

I can remember as child there being a lake at the base of hauxley pit heap may be this could have been dainage
Old 04-04-2016, 06:52 PM

Default Beehive Pillbox

Spotted this excellent example of a bee hive pillbox, not 3 miles as the crow flies from Amble. Its not listed on Keys to the Past, so when I waddled past with the dog I had to go back and have a look as I wasn't aware of its existence. Very hard to spot once the foliage starts to grow again. I will leave it to you to guess where!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-04-04 18.48.32.jpg (100.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-04-04 18.48.53.jpg (92.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Administrator

That's a little gem of a discovery. I have no idea where it is!
Old 05-04-2016, 03:01 PM

Would it be on the high road to Warkworth by any chance? I've just come across an archaeological survey completed for Northumberland Estates in connection with the development of New Barns. It refers to about 4 pillboxes. Click the "accept" button and it will drop you into the survey itself.

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/...l3-28461_1.pdf
Old 05-04-2016, 06:37 PM

I remember that from 2007 for the caravan park application which didn't go ahead.
The pill box I pictured is actually opposite the east entrance to Shortridge Hall, and as I say, I've never noticed it before!
Old 28-01-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Hi Derilda, this is Amble Beach as Hollydog mentions, sorry I forgot to include the precise location in the earlier post. The water out of this appears to be contaminated with red ochre as associated with mining. Not sure why that is. The ground it is draining probably underlay Hauxley pit heap at one time, that perhaps something to do with direction for 300 yards you will reach the more modern outfall pipe of the now defunct Hauxley Colliery surface pumping station.
Behind this drain, slightly north next to the road is what I presume was a WW2 tank trap ? There are a few more similar to this over on Druridge dunes in various locations
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180127_131732.jpg (98.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 29-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Behind this drain, slightly north next to the road is what I presume was a WW2 tank trap ? There are a few more similar to this over on Druridge dunes in various locations

Yes noticed that before. I think it must be a tank trap. I wonder where the War Office plans/maps of such things are? I assume they are not released yet or we would have heard about them.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:36 PM

Back to the Lord Mayor's Field I presume. I see the 1939 register has a No 16 Internment camp with an Edith Lonergan as cook to the army officers mess!
On the next page is a waitress to officers mess and a ministry of works foreman. The small pox isolation hospital does not appear to have any occupants!

Last edited by hollydog; 09-05-2018 at 06:42 PM.